• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple pectin

mm84321

Hello,

Below is a question and answer on the Pomona's Pectin website (www.pomonapectin.com) in the FAQs about making pate de fruit with Pomona's. The complete Pomona's directions/recipe sheet are also there on the website. I have never made pate de fruit with apple pectin, but most likely the amount of pectin to use is lower than the amount in the recipe calling for apple pectin because Pomona's is not standardized with dextrose or sugar. It is 100% pectin and usually requires less to achieve a similar result. You also need to add calcium water according to the recipe. The calcium powder for making calcium water comes in the box with the Pomona's. I hope this is helpful to you. If you need more information, feel free to call our Jamline: 413-772-6816.

Can Pomona’s Pectin be used to make Jelled Fruit Candy?

Yes. To make jelled fruit candy, go to the COOKED RECIPES LOW SUGAR OR HONEY section of the directions and recipe sheet that came with your box of Pomona’s Pectin. If you are making fruit candy from mashed fruit, find the jam recipe for that fruit. If you are making fruit candy from juice, find the jelly recipe for that fruit. Double the amount of pectin in the recipe. All of the other ingredients in the recipe stay the same. Follow the COOKED DIRECTIONS LOW SUGAR OR HONEY (STEPS 1 THRU 5). For Step 6, put the mixture in a shallow pan, allow to cool, and then chill in the refrigerator until firm. When the mixture is firm, cut into pieces and coat the pieces in something like powdered sugar and cornstarch to take away the sticky feel.

Sincerely,

Mary Lou Sumberg, Partner

Workstead Industries

Pomona's Universal Pectin

Web: www.pomonapectin.com

Facebook: Pomona's Pectin, For Jam & Jelly

Not to make this any more convoluted, but does anyone have an idea of whether or not any of the common grocery store pectins are low methoxyl pectin? I suspect this is not the case, since most are interested in gelling in the presence of sugar, not calcium. However, the fact that Pomona's required the addition of calcium salts makes me wonder if it is LM pectin...

Yes, Pomona's Pectin is an LM pectin. Most likely the Ball and Surejell pectins that say "Low or No Sugar Needed" are also LM pectins, mixed with dextrose. However, there are many different types of LM pectin and they do each work a little differently. Hope this helps.

Eh, well either way I used Pomona's for some spherification based off the MC "Gruyere Spheres". The recipe called for CP Kelco brand LM Pectin, but the Pomona's worked great. Using calcium lactate gluconate as an ion coagulant this produced some of the best spherification results I've had :)