• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puffed skin shelf life

KennethT

I'm having a party and one of the bites being served incorporates puffed duck skin. The problem is that I don't want to puff the skin pieces at the last minute since I'd rather not have a pot of 400 degree oil around when there are tons of people drinking and milling about, possibly milling about in my kitchen. So, I'd like to puff them in advance (maybe that afternoon) and keep them...

The question is - how long will they stay brittle and crunchy? I have airtight containers, and a foodsaver canister, and many many packets of dessicant if that helps...

Should be doable - chicharrones are puffed up to a day in advance with no loss of texture, and they're not normally stored airtight by any means. If you can keep your duck chicharrones airtight with dessicants, they'll probably be perfect when it comes time to serve them.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)