• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I freeze marinated anchovies?

abadoozy

I'm considering buying a big tin of marinated anchovies, mostly because I haven't found small tins that were very high quality (speaking of that.... any recommendations?)

Specifically, http://www.iloveblue...llets-550-grams have caught my eye.

Problem is, there's no way I can go through that many in a reasonable time period. I called the seller, and he suggested freezing the leftovers. I was surprised - I would have thought that something as delicate as marinated anchovies would turn to mush in the freezer.

Has anyone tried it? Any luck? I do have a chamber vacuum sealer, so they'd be sealed well.

I think that if you're planning to use them in cooking -- that is to say, you're planning to break down the flesh with heat, mincing, etc. -- then it should be fine. But if you want to drape them over potatoes in your salad niçoise, I'd be afraid they'd fall apart upon thawing.

Why not just repack in fresh salt, vacuum seal or just cover, and stick in the back of your fridge? I've done that and they keep indefinitely.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Why not just repack in fresh salt, vacuum seal or just cover, and stick in the back of your fridge? I've done that and they keep indefinitely.

I don't think they're in salt. The description says "These fillets are marinated in sunflower seed oil, wine vinegar and spices."

That said, if I make sure they're covered in oil, they'd stay in the fridge for a long time I'd guess.

I don't think they're in salt. The description says "These fillets are marinated in sunflower seed oil, wine vinegar and spices."

That said, if I make sure they're covered in oil, they'd stay in the fridge for a long time I'd guess.

I've done that, and yes, they do.

That's a good price, even with the $19.95 shipping charge.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A sense of humor is a measurement of the extent to which you realize that you are trapped in a world almost entirely devoid of reason. Laughter is how you release the anxiety you feel at this knowledge." -Dave Barry, humorist

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. -Lin Yutang, writer and translator