• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opa! Greek Wines Create Some Buzz --- no American Rootstock !

Don Giovanni

Opa! Greek Wines Create Some Buzz

Somewhere, Bacchus is smiling. Despite political and economic turmoil in Greece, wines from the region are becoming the toast of some of America’s top toques.

Drinking Greek wines for solidarity ? I think the thing most people should realize is the vines IIRC are not on American rootstock and the wine is pure expression of that sense of place from this one aspect...

below is one producer who boasts this, but IIRC no vines that have the American rootstock on the Greek islands... ?...

The vineyard of Santorini is one of the oldest in Greece (300 years old). The vines are not grafted on American rootstocks, because phylloxera (vine louse) has never attacked the island.

Click On me

“The quality of Greek wines is great, and they are being increasingly well selected by importers,” notes sommelier Juliette Pope of New York’s Gramercy Tavern.

“Greece has an unbelievable amount of indigenous varietals that are only grown there,” says chef Michael Psilakis, whose New York restaurants include the acclaimed Kefi. “You have warm sunny days, cool evenings, and vines typically growing on the slopes of mountains. The juice is very special.”

Click On Me