• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HM and LM Pectins, and what exactly is Pectin NH? Knowledge swap

Volition

Hi everybody,

Pectins. Well I am trying to do some research on Pectins. The Bought kind.

From the ideas in food blog and reading i have discovered there are basically 2 types of pectins.

HM Pectin (The one you know, Requires acidic conditions and Sugar to set, Has different seeting speeds available) &

LM Pectin is thermo reversible) (Low Ester, Requires Calcium to set. Hence Pomona comes with calcium satchels)

However, In recipes recently the chefs are using some pectins which have confused me.

Ok Grant Achatz uses "Yellow Pectin" & "Pectin NH" along with others including Adriano Zumbo (Zumbo uses it for his Glaze amongst many other things, which he reheats everytime he needs it over double boiler to 35degrees Celcius)

I have the following Pectins at home and am trying to match which ones equal what in the recipes.

Genu Pectin Type 101 AS (This is a LM amidated Pectin)

Brown Ribbon HV (HM Pectin)

GENU pectin type D slow set-Z (HM Pectin, Slow setting) This one is referred to as Yellow at Le Sanctuaire)

So there you have it I have Solved the Yellow Pectin problem. Its a slow set HM Pectin. I suspect I could swap the Brown ribbon with The genu pectin Type D slow set. I'll test that and get back to you. So the question remains what the bleep is Pectin NH.

Ok So i do know that Pectin NH is a LM amidated Pectin. So I would suspect the LMA pectin I have would be fine. I know that it requires calcium to set, and so many of the recipes it is mentioned in does not have any calcium added? so what is going on.

I noticed at the paddymelon website in Melbourne, Australia that it states it is standardised with Polyposphate, Calcium Citrate & dextrose. And Louis Stab information sheets says it has Sodium Diphosphate and Calcium Orthophosphate in it. So I've found a few clues there.

Seems that Pectin NH is LMA pectin with Calcium in it, now to work out the concentration. I'll have to do some tests.

Has anyone anymore knowledge on this topic? Please add, correct delete and contribute to the discussion. I really don't want to reinvent the wheel. I also don't want to buy Pectin NH if i really already have it.

Also asking as to why you would choose Pectin over other Colloids like Gelatin, Gellan, etc. Does anyone kno what brands of Pectin they use at Alinea, French Laundry, Fat Duck & Zumbo?

Kindest regards,

Vol