• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee beans in NYC?

vloglady

Many great beans are now available around the city. As David notes above, Stumptown beans in the Ace, and they're also sold down at Pushcart Coffee, on the lower east side (Clinton and E. Broadway).

I'm not a huge fan of Oren's - but, that's just me.

Blue Bottle beans available at Lost Weekend, on lower Orchard St.

Counter Culture beans available at Roots & Vines, on Grand St.

La Colombe - 3 locations in the city.

Gimme Coffee on Mott.

And on and on. As far as Kona "blends," meh.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If you are open to mail order, I'm a fan of the coffee from Moloka'i, which is often better than some of the 100% Kona varieties and certainly better than "Kona blends." I recommend the Malulani Estate or Hawai'ian Espresso roast from http://www.coffeesofhawaii.com/catalog/family/1

I've been to the plantation, and it's a fairly small operation, and they don't seem to have coffee sitting in storage between roasting and shipping. If you get on their mailing list, they often have discounts, so with shipping you can get it straight from the plantation at around $15-20/lb.

I'm not sure what Fairway charges, but be prepared to pay at least $15/12oz for most high-quality coffee. It's worth the extra cash, IMO, and certainly worth it to try premium beans at least once or twice.

Weinoo, do any of the places you mentioned give a free cup with the purchase of beans? Maybe the OP could us that to verify that (s)he's found what he's looking for.

I'm not sure what Fairway charges, but be prepared to pay at least $15/12oz for most high-quality coffee. It's worth the extra cash, IMO, and certainly worth it to try premium beans at least once or twice.

Weinoo, do any of the places you mentioned give a free cup with the purchase of beans? Maybe the OP could us that to verify that (s)he's found what he's looking for.

Yes - the one I frequent does...Pushcart Coffee, on the corner of E. Broadway and Clinton Sts. They also have a buy 10, get 1 free thing on the coffee drinks and sandwiches.

You're right on the pricing and I agree with WK2 on the Stumptown and Intellegentsia...my two faves.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?