• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Trivets on Countertops

Shel_B

Recently I saw a picture on eGullet of a French press standing atop a trivet on someone's kitchen countertop. Coincidentally, a few days before, a houseguest set my French press on a pot holder on my countertop. I'd never seen such a thing before, and I've never done it.

So, under what circumstances would it be adviseable to use a trivet, etc., to, I suppose, protect the countertop? What kind of countertop needs protecting, and from what? Does any countertop need protecting from a French press, which already has some space between the hot liquid and the top of the counter? Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Recently I saw a picture on eGullet of a French press standing atop a trivet on someone's kitchen countertop. Coincidentally, a few days before, a houseguest set my French press on a pot holder on my countertop. I'd never seen such a thing before, and I've never done it.

So, under what circumstances would it be adviseable to use a trivet, etc., to, I suppose, protect the countertop? What kind of countertop needs protecting, and from what? Does any countertop need protecting from a French press, which already has some space between the hot liquid and the top of the counter? Thanks!

My counter top is some sort of man-made material (Corian? Formica?) not sure but I would not dream of putting even a French press on it without some sort of insulated trivet/towel underneath. Maybe it's a throwback to my earlier kitchens which for sure had Formica and looked like hell in a very short time. My current counters are 8 years old and look as good as new. Now when I had ceramic tiles I had no issues - pans went right from stove-top/oven to counter with no protection. Guess it depends on your counter top material and your level of tolerance. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog