• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

Oh wow, 45 minutes in the pressure cooker???  That's wild.  

Admittedly -- I have never used an electric pressure cooker, maybe they are different?  I've only ever used my beloved and also becoming-ancient Presto, which cooks garbanzos to done in about 16 minutes, medium-rocking.  Garbanzos are really the only bean I typically pressure-cook. So 45 minutes is blowing my mind.

But, dang.  I have the RG Ayocote Amarillos though I've not made them yet; the need to plan differently is duly noted.  

I also have, unopened, the  RG Ayocote Blanco and Morado; for my own weird reasons I generally eat the larger beans in the summer, so haven't cooked since my autumn shipment.  

That said, the one other RG Ayocote that I have made is the Negro.  It did not take a notably long time to cook (plain-boiled, not pressure-cooked).  I do soak, though, religiously; for whatever that's worth.  

The two beans that I made that never got done were a black turtle bean that I bought in a neighborhood in Jackson, MS, where really no one ate those beans; could've been on the shelf for aeons.  The other one was a pinto bean that was purchased in Montgomery, Alabama, in a neighborhood with plenty of shelf-turnover.  I don't know what the hell happened there, but I consulted with friends-who-cook-beans, and they didn't know either.  Around that time I was playing around with dark beer in pinto beans, but I have no idea if I put beer into those particular beans, or how that would make that one batch eternally chalky.  I know I was mad, tho.

SLB

SLB

Admittedly -- I have never used an electric pressure cooker, maybe they are different?  I've only ever used my beloved and also becoming-ancient Presto, which cooks garbanzos to done in about 16 minutes, medium-rocking.  Garbanzos are really the only bean I typically pressure-cook. So 45 minutes is blowing my mind.

But, dang.  I have the RG Ayocote Amarillos though I've not made them yet; the need to plan differently is duly noted.  

I also have, unopened, the  RG Ayocote Blanco and Morado; for my own weird reasons I generally eat the larger beans in the summer, so haven't cooked since my autumn shipment.  

That said, the one other RG Ayocote that I have made is the Negro.  It did not take a notably long time to cook (plain-boiled, not pressure-cooked).  I do soak, though, religiously; for whatever that's worth.  

The two beans that I made that never got done were a black turtle bean that I bought in a neighborhood in Jackson, MS, where really no one ate those beans; could've been on the shelf for aeons.  The other one was a pinto bean that was purchased in Montgomery, Alabama, in a neighborhood where people eat plenty of pinto beans.  I don't know what the hell happened there, but I consulted with friends-who-cook-beans, and they didn't know either.  Around that time I was playing around with dark beer in pinto beans, but I have no idea if I put beer into those particular beans, or how that would make that one batch eternally chalky.  I know I was mad, tho.

SLB

SLB

Admittedly -- I have never used an electric pressure cooker, maybe they are different?  I've only ever used my beloved and also becoming-ancient Presto, which cooks garbanzos to done in about 16 minutes, medium-rocking.  Garbanzos are really the only bean I typically pressure-cook. 

The two beans that I made that never got done were a black turtle bean that I bought in a neighborhood in Jackson, MS, where really no one ate those beans; could've been on the shelf for aeons.  The other one was a pinto bean that was purchased in Montgomery, Alabama, in a neighborhood where people eat plenty of pinto beans.  I don't know what the hell happened there, but I consulted with friends-who-cook-beans, and they didn't know either.  Around that time I was playing around with dark beer in pinto beans, but I have no idea if I put beer into those particular beans, or how that would make that one batch eternally chalky.  I know I was mad, tho.

SLB

SLB

Admittedly -- I have never used an electric pressure cooker, maybe they are different?  I've only ever used my beloved and also becoming-ancient Presto, which cooks garbanzos to done in about 16 minutes, medium-rocking.  Garbanzos are really the only bean I typically pressure-cook.