• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Under-the-sink and in-line water filters

andiesenji

If you add up the cost of replacing filters, it is cheaper by far to get an in-line system to filter the water to just your kitchen sink. You have a one-time cost for the installation and the filters generally are good for two to three years, depending on how much you use. inline undercounter filter systems

I have two of these type filters, one on the water supply to my icemaker and one to the refrigerator with icemaker since I had the whole house filter removed. The plumber charged me 146.00 for plumbing in both - I bought the systems myself.

Some you can install yourself, if you have the tools and are handy.

Just an update - about a year or so ago, I switched from the faucet mounted filter to this: http://www.discountfilterstore.com/water-filter-undersink-ge-smartwater-gxulq.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiApIGnBRCFx-idn7-E2Y8BEiQAc6fQbEbczRm_5b8KI6pXFEj2U6iwqpZ6G0ETmG1FMrTWsK0aAhBL8P8HAQ

It's an inline filter that is wall mounted under the sink, and plumbs directly into the cold water line - no extra faucet required.  It is rated to last for 6 months, but even with our high quality tap water, I find it only lasts maybe 4 months before the throughput is significantly reduced enough to be annoyingly slow.  Not as bad as the trickle I used to get with the faucet filter, but still, slow enough that when I'm filling a 3 gallon reservoir I get impatient.  Replacement filters around about $20-30 at the home depot, and replacing the filter is quick and easy with no tools required.  But - I do find that adding a little silicone grease to the o-ring seal makes the job a lot easier.  The system also installed very easily - probably took about 20 minutes.