• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry and Hard Leftover Chicken

Shel_B

My GF brought some leftover chicken home from a "rubber chicken" dinner. Last night we wanted to have it for dinner, but the chicken (breast meat) was a bit dry and hard. Is there a good way to make such chicken, and perhaps other meats and leftovers, more palatable. I cooked it in a sauce of lemon, garlic, wine, and some herbs, and it wasn't awful, but perhaps there's some other treatment that can be done to ot. Thanks!

... Shel

Try grinding it in a food processor, using the Pulse function so you don't overgrind. Then mix it with celery, mayonnaise or salad dressing, etc, for a chicken salad. It will have a fine texture like tunafish salad, which is very pleasant.

Unfortunately, I can't think of ways to help much with the flavor. Maybe hint to GF not to bring home any more rubber chicken?

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Hi ... Thanks for the ideas. I like the chicken salad concept especially well. Adding it to soup will work just fine, too.

If we had a dog, it would probably enjoy such a treat, however, neither GF nor I like to waste food, so it's nice to get some ideas from y'all.

... Shel

So, I tend to spend an inordinate amount of time in the old eGCI courses, and happened to be reading this one yesterday. Seems like something I, for one, would like to try, given the time.

Edited to fix nitpicky nonesuch.

Edited by Rico (log)