• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Tomatoes

KingLear

Over the last couple of years, I've had an abundance of grape, cherry and pear tomatoes, so have frozen them. Typically, I have only thawed them in order to totally cook them down into a sauce. Last week I needed to make a pasta dish quickly. I used some of my frozen tomatoes, but didn't completely cook them down to a paste. Instead, I kept a few of the tomatoes whole in the pan - albeit thawed completely. Instead of being squishy and mealy as I had expected, they were juicy and burst with great texture as I bit into them. After that, I tried popping a totally frozen cherry tomato into my mouth and let it slowly thaw before finally crunching down on it - amazing!

This has totally changed my thinking (training?) about frozen tomatoes - they were extraordinary.

Edited by KingLear (log)