• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porcini oil

Calories

I have been using local commercial porchini oil for different use including in mash potatoes. The oil is expansive to buy and for some reason it is probably pretty easy to make.

Modernist cusine book, #2 at page 329 recommend to used dried porchini with sunflower oil. As i never used or own a dehydrator, can i obtain the same results with fresh mushroon or i need to dehydrate them first to remove the water content.?

Also, is their a formula or rough estimate of the water content? What is the weight of fresh mushroom will i need to get 100 gr of dried porchini?

Thank in advance, i am very exieted about this project has the mushroon season is just starting in a few weeks here locally.

Tks

Nath in Montreal

I'm uncertain as to what differences there are between air drying and freeze drying, although I think freeze drying retains more flavors. And, I recall some of the MC recipes do specify freeze dried powders. However, if you want to dry your porcinis, and you have an auto and a sunny day, you have a dehydrator. I regularly dry herbs tossed in a brown bag on the dash of my car on sunny days. Mushrooms might be a bit harder. Maybe place some in foil trays, in case they weep a lot. Then reduce the dried 'shrooms to powder however you can.

I'm going to try the pulled mushroom recipe tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if at the end the bag holds a mix of weakly infused oil, and a mushroom broth from rendered water.

I wouldn't waste fresh porcini if you've got them (unless you're really swimming in them)! Use them for fresh applications.

You can buy dried porcini relatively easily and cheaply.