• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredient Swap

Well! In talking about Quinua flour, which I take for granted, I've found that it's a rare ingredient everywhere but here, and I've probably got some others too (dried Epazote and Horchata Tisane come to mind). Equally, there are things that I just can't find here, like real maple sugar or syrup, jasmine tea, and chestnuts.

I'd propose starting an ingredient swap! I have access to most Latin American ingredients, including the aforementioned Quinua in grain and flour, but also various herbs and spices, raw cocoa nibs, mother of chocolate, really amazing coffee, and other dry goods that bear shipping. Would anybody out there be interested?

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Host Note: Rules of the Game

Great idea. For this to work, everyone will need to follow a few basic rules:

Use the forums for posting information and follow-up Q&A about products.

Use the PM system for all aspects of the exchange: requests for products, how much you want, cost of shipping, addresses, payment methods, etc.

To avoid misunderstandings, we ask that anyone posting about product availability/requests provide the following info:

- specific information about the product you’re offering/requesting

- the cost per unit

- the quantity available/requested

- a reminder that all aspects of the exchange must transpire on the PM system

Finally, please post an update when don’t want additional inquiries.

For non-perishables, have you considered amazon.com? They will probably have much less expensive shipping than an individual at the post office. Less personal, but it would be one way to get maple sugar, etc.