• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck ragu

annachan

I got two duck legs defrosted in the fridge. I'm thinking of making duck ragu for dinner. When searching for recipes online, I came across 2 methods of cooking the duck.

1) Braise duck in sauce

2) Roast the duck in the oven and add to the sauce later

What the advantage and disadvantage of each method?

Also, if I go with the braised method, I would take the skin off the legs first. What is a good way to deal with the skin? I like to be able to render the duck fat for later use as well as have some good cracklings. How?

I would favor the braised or simmered method to get the most moist result for something like a ragu that you will probably shred into a sauce; especially if you are removing the skin prior to cooking.

Here is an older topic that discusses rendering duck fat.

I'd braise it on the bone, as the bones and various other bits and pieces will add to the flavour of the sauce. I'd let some (but not all, obviously) of the fat stay in the sauce.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I'd braise it on the bone, as the bones and various other bits and pieces will add to the flavour of the sauce. I'd let some (but not all, obviously) of the fat stay in the sauce.

Definitely will do. I always cook on the bone whenever possible.