• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searching for the perfect cocktail

Deus Mortus

I have been searching for the perfect cocktail for quite some time now, not for me, as a good sidecar works wonders upon my taste buds. I am searching for the perfect cocktail for my girlfriend and the worst part is, she has already drunk it.

A few years ago she was visiting her family in Poland and had a cocktail made with a considerable amount of strawberry vodka, since then I have been attempting to recreate it. Sadly she can't tell me much except that it was made with (presumably strawberry) vodka, was rather sweet, tastes like strawberries and it had quite a kick. If anyone knows of a cocktail that reminds them of this, I would be quite grateful.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

You might like tequila por mi amante, which is blanco tequila that's been infused with fresh strawberries until the berries are grey. It's fantastic in this drink:

2 tequila por mi amante

1 St. Germain elderflower liqueur

1/2 fresh lime juice

Shake & strain.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It sounds like your looking for essentially a strawberry screwdriver. Have you tried something obvious? Maybe:

2 oz vodka

1 oz strawberry jam (seedless would be best)(or fresh muddled strawberries with sugar)

1/4 oz lemon if too sweet

Shake and fine strain (with a tea strainer) to remove pulp and any seeds.

My strategy would be to slowly start introducing her to less girly drinks, such as Chris's recommendation above. Worked great for me (and my wife).

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

My strategy would be to slowly start introducing her to less girly drinks, such as Chris's recommendation above. Worked great for me (and my wife).

"Girly drinks"? I really can't stand that kind of crap. This "girl" drinks whiskey, thank you.

In a past life*, I was lead to believe that Stoli Strawberry makes an amazing** Cosmo.

2 oz Stoli Strawberry

1 1/2 oz Cranberry Juice

3/4 oz Cointreau

3/4 oz Lime Juice

Shake/strain. Up or on the rocks.

* College

** For a certain definition of amazing.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Well last night I tried the strawberry screwdriver and while it was appreciated, she remembered yet another piece of the puzzle, apparently the cocktail also contained something cherry. If I would have to guess probably cherry juice.

I have always found the idea of girly drinks interesting, now to my taste buds they are abominations send down by an angry deity, yet when giving it the proper chance almost everyone seems to like them, including the boys. They are a really safe sweet taste, that has more in common with candy then liquor. I have also noticed that people drinking these cocktails, eventually "graduate" to some more, let's call it mature, drinks. So I never got what people found so horrible about these drinks, they are the introduction to the world of drinks for many people...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

Well last night I tried the strawberry screwdriver and while it was appreciated, she remembered yet another piece of the puzzle, apparently the cocktail also contained something cherry. If I would have to guess probably cherry juice.

I have always found the idea of girly drinks interesting, now to my taste buds they are abominations send down by an angry deity, yet when giving it the proper chance almost everyone seems to like them, including the boys. They are a really safe sweet taste, that has more in common with candy then liquor. I have also noticed that people drinking these cocktails, eventually "graduate" to some more, let's call it mature, drinks. So I never got what people found so horrible about these drinks, they are the introduction to the world of drinks for many people...

The cherry element might have been maraschino (and if it wasn't, it still might be work really well in the reconstruction). Incidentally, I've never understood why so-called 'girly drinks' are problematic, unless they're made with crap ingredients (but anything made with crap ingredients is a waste of time, whether it's a Shirley Temple or a Martini); after all, the whole point of drinking is to enjoy yourself with something you like.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Knowing my girlfriend, I assume it is something a bit sweeter then Maraschino, something that would hide the bite from the Vodka, thus I am assuming cherry juice, especially since she visited during cherry season there.

-Winston Churchill

Maraschino liqueur is an acquired taste -- pretty funky for someone wanting to hide the ethanol flavor. Muddle some cherries and strawberries, with some sugar, maybe? Or preserves. I think the lemon (or lime) would add a nice bright note, but you'll need more sugar to unbalance it toward sweet.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

My local Polish/Russian market has cherry juice in cardboard cartons, along with black currant, pomegranate, etc. which I have used myself when making homemade grenadines, cocktail experimentation and the like. I believe the cherry flavor is called "wisniowy". If there's an Eastern European market near you go check it out. You should be able to find what you're seeking there.

On a separate note I might try a Cosmo alternative that was something like this:

2 oz. Strasberi vodka

.5 oz. fresh lemon juice

.75 oz. cherry juice

barspoon or a scant .25 oz. St. Germain

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist if desired.

I think I still have some cherry juice at home. I'll try this out when I get back if I do. If you do first, please report back!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My local Polish/Russian market has cherry juice in cardboard cartons, along with black currant, pomegranate, etc. which I have used myself when making homemade grenadines, cocktail experimentation and the like. I believe the cherry flavor is called "wisniowy". If there's an Eastern European market near you go check it out. You should be able to find what you're seeking there.

On a separate note I might try a Cosmo alternative that was something like this:

2 oz. Strasberi vodka

.5 oz. fresh lemon juice

.75 oz. cherry juice

barspoon or a scant .25 oz. St. Germain

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist if desired.

I think I still have some cherry juice at home. I'll try this out when I get back if I do. If you do first, please report back!

That sounds great, however sadly due to some serious bouts of anti-biotics in her youth, she has rather damaged tooth enamel and can't really drink lemon juice, is there anything I can substitute the lemon juice with that isn't quite so acidic?

-Winston Churchill

sadly due to some serious bouts of anti-biotics in her youth, she has rather damaged tooth enamel and can't really drink lemon juice,

Just an FYI: dentists can apply a sealant these days that should help. Wouldnt she be getting stains from the red fruits too? Anyway, just a thought.

Also, I have several red fruit liquors I picked up in Russia that are very nice just w/ selzer. But I will try w/ some fresh OJ and a spritz and let you know.

sadly due to some serious bouts of anti-biotics in her youth, she has rather damaged tooth enamel and can't really drink lemon juice,

Just an FYI: dentists can apply a sealant these days that should help. Wouldnt she be getting stains from the red fruits too? Anyway, just a thought.

Also, I have several red fruit liquors I picked up in Russia that are very nice just w/ selzer. But I will try w/ some fresh OJ and a spritz and let you know.

Right now her enamel is extremely thin, from what I understand the sealant works when there is no more enamel and it is better to preserve what she has left by being careful with what she eats, especially since sealants like that can only plug up small holes, not coat an entire tooth.

-Winston Churchill

The lemon juice is in small proportion to the rest of the drink and is meant to balance the drink and dial back all those sweet things in there. If she drinks cocktails that are that sweet she won't have to worry about thin enamel as all of her teeth will fall out soon enough. It really needs it. Trust me on this. I am certain there are plenty of foods, both fresh and processed that contain acidic ingredients she ingests every day. Salad dressings? Carbonated beverages? Coffee or tea? Unless her dentist has specifically prohibited her drinking citrus juices I don't think this one item will be an issue.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol