• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

caramel, pecans, and chocolate

peter rabbit

Morning, I tried making a "turtle" bark. I had a bottom layer of roasted peacans, then layered "Peter's" block caramel, and had a final layer of semi sweet tempered chocolate. It had a great taste and I was able to cut the confection into one inch squares. But the following day the squares lost their shape. Although the taste was still great. I don't want to make the traditional "turtle" but wanted to try and make a bark with the same ingredients then cut it into smaller bite size squares. Question: anyone have a bark receipe with this ingredients OR have an idea how to keep the shape of the squares once they are cut? Maybe I had to heavy of a hand with the caramel? Ideas?

Hmm, maybe thats why turtles are shaped like that? They tend to spread? Are you looking for the crisp squareness of a piece of chocolate? I think you're going to have to lose the Peters, and make your own and bring it up a bit harder before you add the cream. Peters and merkers tend to be soft, you need a stiffer caramel.

A local confectioner, Southern Candymakers, makes a killer turtle (tortue) that's not totally enrobed. A deep bed of broken pecan pieces fills a sheet pan, then blobs of caramel are spooned at intervals atop the pecans. When the caramel has cooled/set up, a dollop of chocolate goes atop the caramel, and once set, the individual candy is lifted off the pecan bed. So it's more of a layered turtle with a base of pecans. See it here.