• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Oysters

Paul Bacino

I bought some oysters yesterday.. today they were frozen, when I opened them.. the liquid looks milky too.. are they still good?

I live in Nebraska, and when I bought them.. reputable seller .. they said don't seal the bag on the way home or you will suffocate them. They have been on ice ( only ) since I brought them home

Eat or not to eat.. that is the question ?

TIA

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Short Form: Stew, maybe.

Long Form: All shellfish sold commercially are to be sold with or have the harvest tag available for viewing by the customer with harvest date and where harvested.

ALWAYS look at the tag.

Shelled oysters are usually kept on ice or shipped with ice packs so the only way I can suppose the way they could be frozen was deliberately? So if i knew the harvest date and why they were frozen, maybe could be used for stew but if I didn't know how they got frozen, trash.

Nebraska is as land locked as Wisconsin and I am highly suspicious of the quality of the sea food i purchase and always inspect.-Dick

Dick,

Thanks for the reply. These things froze in my refrigerator, they were in a colander, with crush ice on them.. So some how it just got to darn cold in that beer frig :cool:

I ended up salvaging by:

5701684382_00c4ecefed.jpg

I survived too!!

I just didn't want a frozen soft shell crab, effect. That we know is Yuk

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels