• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dishes with roses

Pam Brunning

I have a recipe using guinea fowl that requires 2 cups of rose petals. As I need to try the recipe before the roses in my garden are in bloom I wondered about trying it with dried petals. Does anyone know if they have sufficient scent to impart anything to the meat and the sauce. The recipe calls for the bird to be stuffed with rose petals.

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

There's plenty of scent in dried rose petals if you just sniff 'em. I don't know what's left after they've been cooked with meat. However, it's the rose essential oil in both fresh and dried roses that gives off the scent, so I would guess fresh and dried roses are somewhat interchangeable.

In my experience, most recipes that call for rose scent in cooking use rose water. A food-safe rose essential oil is also possible.

Where are you buying your dried rose petals? Good spice suppliers have herbalists on staff who might know, especially if the herbalist is a dedicated cook also. (Many herbalists I've met are serious cooks.)

Edited by djyee100 (log)

I haven’t got any yet, I was going to buy on line but it seems as though they need to be tasted first. As you say probably best to add to the flavour with rose oil or rose water. Thanks for the ideas

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

If you have Persian or Iranian etc markets, they usually sell them in bags on the spice rack. Just as a guess, I'd think dried ones work better for cooking, won't fresh ones turn to mush? I could see using dried ones for cooking, then add fesh ones as decoration on the finished dish. Also, it seems like the dried ones are rose buds, and are relatively small, maybe some particular kind of rose?

At the same markets you can find rose water, probably rose oil as well.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog