• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Gastrique

BoldBaker

Recently, I have taken an interest in the making of a gastrique.

After consulting my cookbooks and the internet, I have tossed the idea of a tomato gastrique around. However, there seems to be some discrepancy between proportions, and I have a few other questions. Some people recommend a 1:2 ratio of sugar to vinegar, others a 2:3, and others a 1:1. Is this just a matter of taste? Also, some recipes call for the caramelization of sugar, others advocate just throwing everything in one pot and reducing until the desired consistency is reached. What is most proper and yields the best flavor? Finally: as I am considering a tomato gastrique, and I want the result to be smooth I question the source of tomato flavor. Whole tomatoes peeled, cooked, pureed, and passed through a chinois? Cutting the tomato in half and squeezing the juice through a chinois to catch the juices? What do you think would be best? Also what vinegar would be the best to use? I plan to use this with a fattier piece of beef.

Throwing everything in the pot and reducing is the cheater method. Proportions are a matter of personal taste. I would use verjus and tomato water doing it the traditional way so as not to cook all the aroma out of the tomato water. Make sure to use flavorful overripe tomatoes for the best flavor.

I do think that a tomato gastrique might get lost paired with a big steak unless you are going to slice it and do a more modern presentation with multiple sauces ect

Edited by AAQuesada (log)

I enjoy the tomato water idea - it may get a bit too salty by the end though. Having a good mix of tomato water, sundried tomatoes, vinegar and probably some water to lengthen the cooking time would help. I've always done a 1-1 with vinegar to sugar for my gastriques. Strain and serve.