• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blueberry banana muffins

ElsieD

I'm wondering if anyone has a good recipe for blueberry-banana muffins, preferably one that also includes oat bran or wheat germ. I searched the muffin thread on this site, the internet and my cookbooks but haven't been able to find one.

Thank you.

Elsie, I do have a recipe that I really like, but it doesn't have any oat bran or wheat germ. It also has a crumble top.

Blueberry Banana Crumble Muffins

Ingredients

Muffins:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

3 elderly bananas, mashed

3/4 cup white sugar

1 egg, beaten

1/3 cup butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla

2-3 handfuls fresh blueberries, or thawed frozen berries without juice. Sorry, I never measured the berries.

Crumble:

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Add blueberries. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, they should be about half full.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon cold butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

• 4 years later...

Had 3 bananas that needed using, and some frozen blueberries from this summer.  Found this recipe when I decided, "Why not search and see what I find?"  Easily the best muffins I have ever made.  Thank you, Elsie!