• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian/Middle Eastern food in DC?

IsItSoupYet?

Two good ones in a row - scary

I had lunch at a little gem today. Myanmar serves up traditional burmese cuisine... highly influenced by Indian cuisine yet having an identity of its own

THe food was really quite good. The rice with vatana peas was almost perfect! The fritters were a bit oily but the chicken satay -- served Burmese style -- was unique and quite good

Average dish is 6 bucks.. cant beat that. I talked to some other diners and many said they visit atleast once a week. I can see why

Myanmar Restaurant

7810-C Lee Highway

Falls Church, VA 22042

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Myanmar Restaurant

7810-C Lee Highway

Falls Church, VA 22042

This place is awesome; I've meant to mention on this board a thousand times but never got around to it. I work not far away and I too eat there about once a week.

When you go back, make sure to try their ginger salad and the pork in mango pickle. The ginger salad in particular is to die for: thin strips of ginger and cabbage tossed with tomatoes, peanuts, dried (roasted?) chickpeas, and some dressing I can't pin down. I adore the stuff.

Edit: Just wanted to add a recommendation for the Chicken Kadai at the Bombay Curry Club. It's dandy, and hot enough to be interesting without taking your face off (which their vindaloo might do, depending on who's in the kitchen).

Edited by fimbul (log)

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

• 1 month later...

For Father's day we went to Bombay Curry Company for their Sunday buffet. They had prepared some really delicious and spicy chicken wings and their kadhi ( a yogurt based prep) was out of this world!

I really enjoy their friendly service... sort of like the Indian version of "Cheers" :biggrin:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I'm curious. What do you guys think of Bombay Bistro?

I've been to the Fairfax location, and pass the Rockville one occasionally.

Hey All,

I now live in Chiacgo but grew up in the DC area and always like to read the Washington Forum to ward off homesickness.

Yes Bombay Bistro is hands down the best Indian restaurant in the DC area. The accolades keep it up with the very best. Bombay Bistro has won since 1993 (and every year since then) 100 VERY BEST & 100 BEST BARGAIN AWARDS from the washingtonian magazine. I always get the BOMBAY THALI, which can come in either a meat version or the vegie version. The Thali is a big platter with almost all of the best the menu has to offer along with bread. Its a lot of food but worth it and it is a great deal for the money. Their TANDOORI CHICKEN is very good and I seem to remember that there has been a Tandoori salmon or shrimp on the menu that is very good. Their VINDALOOS are good along with the KAORMAS. I have had most things on the menu and all have been top notch and the ones I have not had I am sure are awesome. Can't go wrong with Bombay Bistro. They have a great Lunch Buffet during the week that is very good.

Heritage India (in Glover Park and Bethesda) is just as good. They are both very yummy!

Has anyone been to Indique (same owners as Bombay Bistro that opened in '99)?

Check out Washingtonian Magazine's 100 Best Restaurants for no fail restaurant suggestions

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/03vbindex.html

Later,

Hobbes

Edited by Hobbes (log)

• 4 weeks later...
For Father's day we went to Bombay Curry Company for their Sunday buffet. They had prepared some really delicious and spicy chicken wings and their kadhi  ( a yogurt based prep) was out of this world!

I really enjoy their friendly service... sort of like the Indian version of "Cheers"  :biggrin:

I had yet another excellent Bombay Curry Company experience last night. After a brutal day at the office, I bit the bullet and paid the premium for Take-Out Taxi and had some great stuff delivered.

Their Chicken Kadai is fantastic-- lots of fiery zip without overwhelming the more delicate flavors in the sauce. The Tandoori Chicken was perfectly seasoned and moist. Even the pappadums were really tasty.

If you're ever in Delray, look them up (and invite me)!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.