• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a Root Beer recipe

Kelownachef

There are no Root Beers or ingredients for Root Beers in the US that use sarsaparilla because

"Sassafras albidum--"Sassafras albidum" (roots)--safrole, the oil from these roots, is believed to be carcinogenic, so artificial versions are generally used instead."

from Wiki.

I drank a lot of Root Beer as a child and I don't have cancer yet.

The stuff one can get today is a pale imitation of the real stuff.-Dick

Unless you have an "on the hoof" or natural source for your sarsaparilla roots, you may have a hard time finding safrole or sassafras oil. It's a precursor to illicit methamphetamine production, and is heavily controlled by both State and Federal drug agencies.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Saveur had a recipe several years ago. I managed to find the ingredients, including dried sarsaparilla root, at a shop specializing in herbs and spices. Unfortunately, the final product wasn't very appealing--it finished dead last in a blind taste test against three other products.

Sassafras is not the same as sarsaparilla!

Last time I checked you could still get both at good herb/health food shops, but you'll find the sassafras labeled for external use only.

There are no restrictions on sarsaparilla, yet you'll probably be dissappointed because it doesn't have that much flavor compared to sassafras.

Your best bet is to get some commercial root beer flavoring and go from there.

FYI, the predominant flavor in post-sassafras rootbeers (these days) is wintergreen.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs