• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kennedy Fried Chicken's Afghan Connection

Fat Guy

Absolutely first-rate reporting by Dan Bilefsky in the New York Times about Kennedy (not Kentucky) Fried Chicken and its Afghan ownership community.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/14/nyregion/14chicken.html?_r=1&emc=tnt&tntemail1=y

When I read this story it made me think, well, okay, there is still a place for newspapers in this world.

While lamb is a protein of choice in Mr. Haye’s homeland, two generations of Afghans in America have found a lifeline in the humble chicken. Those in the industry say there are some 350 Afghan-owned chicken stores across the five boroughs employing thousands of Afghan-Americans. Plates of battered breasts — all halal, to be sure — are served at local mosques after Friday prayers, and short-order cooks stash prayer mats next to the freezers.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've had it a couple of times, and it didn't strike me as being Afghan--just ordinary fried chicken, kinda greasy--but from the article, apparently there isn't any consistency across the shops--they're just all called "Kennedy Fried Chicken" and are run by Afghanis, so maybe some of them produce something more unusual.