• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

It's all the same stuff you've been trained to do, just at a much higher pace and more of it at the same time. Not gonna lie, it's an adjustment, but if you stick with it (and are prepared mentally for some stress during the adjustment period) you should do okay.

Also, even if things don't work out for you on the restaurant side of things, there are a LOT of other opportunities within the foodservice/cooking world. I ended up writing about food (and other things) after folding my restaurants. Classmates of mine went into food styling/consulting, teaching, or institutional foodservice management (she's probably the highest-paid of us all, which is nothing to sneeze at). One operates a spa with her yoga instructor/personal trainer partner. 

...and that's just from the handful I've kept loosely in touch with. There are plenty of other options as well.

ETA: Also, welcome to eG! There are some very talented and knowledgeable people in this community, and I learned a TON from the group here when I was a student and new graduate.

chromedome

chromedome

It's all the same stuff you've been trained to do, just at a much higher pace and more of it at the same time. Not gonna lie, it's an adjustment, but if you stick with it (and are prepared mentally for some stress during the adjustment period) you should do okay.

Also, even if things don't work out for you on the restaurant side of things, there are a LOT of other opportunities within the foodservice/cooking world. I ended up writing about food (and other things) after folding my restaurants. Classmates of mine went into food styling/consulting, teaching, or institutional foodservice management (she's probably the highest-paid of us all, which is nothing to sneeze at). One operates a spa with her yoga instructor/personal trainer partner. 

...and that's just from the handful I've kept loosely in touch with. There are plenty of other options as well.