• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pulled candy

rebgold

Does anybody have any tips on doing pulled sugar candies like candy canes and icicles? What temperature can it be held pliable at so I can split the batch? I can't get it all pulled nicely before it hardens.

Thanks

Rebecca

Reb

This site has the most simple explanation on how to work candy canes, keeping the non-working portion in a warm oven to keep it pliable.

Candy Canes

There are several excellent books on making candy - Laura Doran's has nice step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow.

How are you going to pull the candy? Unless you have a good set up, it can be dicey.

I have a butcher block with a hole that allows me to inset a metal shaft to wrap the candy around and use as a base to pull against.

If you have a clamp-on meat grinder you can attach that to the edge of a table, oil the exterior and use that to pull against, from the other side of the table. Otherwise you need two people, it is not an easy task to handle alone, unless you are working with very small batches at a time.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We pulled it at our slab table. It came out pretty well, we were actually doing icicles not candy canes, but a portion of it became too hard to work before we could get to it. I used the Grewelling formula. He suggests a heat lamp to keep the portion not in use pliable but as we don't have a heat lamp I was wondering if I could find the exact temperature range to hold it so I could try coming up with something makeshift, like a sheet pan over our copper kettle with hot water in it or something like that. Maybe the oven at the lowest setting with the convection off? I need a temp range to get an idea of what would work.

Thanks,

Reb

Reb