• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poppy Seeds

Shel_B

I've a recipe for a lemon poppy seed loaf that I've been using for years. In the past I've purchased poppy seeds from the local markets. It's been suggested that there is a substantial difference between poppy seeds. So, what should I be looking for if I want the best, freshest, most flavorful seeds? Any on line suggestions for a good source?

Thanks!

... Shel

You want 'Dutch Blue', and since the demise of H. Roth & Sons and Paprikas Weiss, I don't know what to suggest. An Eastern European bakery might be willing to sell you some of their stash. Otherwise a good pastry supplier will have them ... but in larger quantities. Since they have a fairly high oil content, you will want to store them, well-wrapped, in the freezer lest they become stale. That is why you need to purchase them from a supplier or user that turns their stock frequently.

Regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I purchase them from The Spice House by the pound.

I've been very pleased with the quality and I am rather picky.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett