• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I can't use my Vitamix Pro 500

cteavin

I am so disappointed.

I live in Japan now and I've wanted a Vitamix since I was a kid in America. Finally, I got one but I didn't but I didn't buy it in Japan, I ordered mine from an online store in America. It took two weeks to get here. Once it got here I discovered I needed a transformer to change the voltage from American to Japanese. I had to order it and it took a week. Then I had to go hunt for an adapter, that took a couple of days.

I just came back with that adapter and plugged everything in -- the container filled and waiting to go -- and the bloody thing won't start. The light that indicates the power is on is lit, but the machine won't spin.

I looked at the instructions and there doesn't seem to be anything special to do. Just plug it in, place the container on and switch it on. That's right, isn't it?

(sigh)

My best guess is that the overload protector is causing it to stay off. If that's the case there's nothing I can do. I have no choice but to send it back to America.

I've contacted customer service to see if there's anything they can suggest before I send it back to America for a refund. I was wondering if anyone had any advise they could share. The transformer I purchased converts up to 1500 watts and the machine is only 1350.

Thanks,

I'm certainly not an expert about such matters, but I suspect it's an AC frequency issue. The U.S. and Canada run on 60 Hz AC; eastern Japan runs on on 50 Hz. Your transformer probably converts voltage but not frequency. Do a Google search on <convert 50 hertz to 60 hertz> for possible solutions.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A sense of humor is a measurement of the extent to which you realize that you are trapped in a world almost entirely devoid of reason. Laughter is how you release the anxiety you feel at this knowledge." -Dave Barry, humorist

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. -Lin Yutang, writer and translator

FWIW, I lived in Japan for 11 years (8 years in western Japan, 3 years in eastern) and used US/Canadian appliances there without a problem and without a transformer. Not sure how many watts (I think my hair dryer was 1200W), but I've also used Japanese appliances in Canada (up to 1200W, I think) for years without problems (including a rice cooker that I've used for 15-ish years).

I would recommend reading your manual (both for the machine and the converter) carefully to make sure you've got everything set up correctly. You may have missed something small but important. I doubt the problem is because of the voltage of the appliance.

(Just to make sure, you bought a transformer, the kind that costs about Y15000 or Y20000 at places like Yodobashi Camera?)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A sense of humor is a measurement of the extent to which you realize that you are trapped in a world almost entirely devoid of reason. Laughter is how you release the anxiety you feel at this knowledge." -Dave Barry, humorist

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. -Lin Yutang, writer and translator

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

@ Prasantrin, yeah, The transformer I bought costs 15,000 and is a step down converter specifically for American appliances of up to 1500 watts and 240 volts to be converted to the Japanese power grid. I was aware of the possibility that the machine might be less powerful in japan which is why I sought out the transformer but plugged into an adapter and into the wall or plugged through the transformer it's not working.

Its really frustrating.

When I finish work I'm going to phone the power company and see what they say.

Yodobasi sold me an three prong adapter from audio techie apparently made for musical instruments. Do you think that might have something to do with it?

Reading the link Alex posted I'm thinking there's not enough power to run it.

Your plug adapter is to turn a 3-prong into a 2-prong?

I wonder what would happen if you used a power strip designed for 3-prong electronics like computers. IIRC, you're not supposed to plug power strips into converters, but I'm not sure about that. Might want to check it out.

I really doubt the 50-hz/60-hz thing would prevent an appliance from working. It might slow it down (or speed it up), and it would affect the appliance in the long run (it would probably die sooner), but it would still work at first. Like I said, I used a North American hair dryer as well as a food saver, blender, slow-cooker, etc. in Japan without a problem, and have used a Japanese rice cooker and hot plate thing here in Canada. And in both countries, without transformers/converters/etc.

What advice does the Vitamix troubleshooting guide have? They must say something about cases like this. Or the transformer troubleshooting guide?

Just to clarify, did you try running a cleaning cycle before you tried putting food in the container? And is the lid on tightly/properly?

According to the literature, btw, Vitamix blenders are all 50/60hz, so that is likely not your problem, though that may just be food service models. I would guess the problem is with your plug adapter (can't imagine why, though. I might try another kind like one for computer equipment--cheaper, only about Y600, they have them at Yodobashi, too, maybe some in the appliance section, too), or with the way you're using it. If the power light is on, then it should be working unless there's something wrong with the way you've set it up.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Right after I got home I tried what you suggested and IT WORKED. Plugging it directly into the three prong power strip I use for the computer and it started straight away. I then switched the three prong adapter from the old computer to the vitamix and plugged it into the wall and it worked. Finally, I plugged that into the transformer and my babies running smoothly.

I don't know why but the adapter I bought from Audio Technica seems to be the problem.

Spinach Soup was my first dish -- it works wonderfully!

Thank you Pras-san, I wouldn't have thought to try that had you not suggested it.