• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City BBQ - cheap eats for 100?

kbjesq

I'm looking for a suggestion for lunch on a Saturday for approximately 100 orchestra students. The students will be attending a national conference at the Kansas City Convention Center, and they're on a tight budget. We will have a bus to transport the students but ideally would like to find a place for lunch on Saturday that is fairly close to the convention center itself, or if necessary, heading southeast out of town.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not sure I'd call it cheap eats, but LC's is one of the best in KC. Especially for burnt ends. They are on your way out going Southeast.

5800 Blue Pkwy

Kansas City, MO 64129-1903

(816) 923-4484

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I like LC's, but I don't remember it being large enough to accommodate 100 people. Or maybe you could just do take-out and eat on the bus?

If you were to do LC's or similar, definitely call a day or two ahead to find out if they'll even have enough food to feed that many people at once. Maybe order it to go and bring it to the students at the convention center?

I agree - LC's is great, but small. If you could get 100 folks in there, they'd be packed in pretty tightly. I'd suggest you start by calling LC and asking them for suggestions. Maybe catering it somewhere with more room would be the thing to do. Or maybe they've got a larger room out back. Or maybe that little place does hold 100. Sometimes, it's hard to tell.

But the food is great. And LC is a hoot. He could chat up the students a bit and tell them something about the history of barbecue in Kansas City. Might be a great afternoon.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will call LC's tomorrow and inquire about options for feeding 100. I have been advised that we will not be allowed to consume food on the bus nor in the common areas of the convention center. I know there are many beautiful outdoor areas in KC, which would be ideal for a picnic, but our trip is mid-April, so the weather is iffy. I really don't want to be stuck outside with 100 students carrying BBQ sandwiches in cold rain! :shock: Hopefully LC's will have ideas . . . or perhaps even have enough room for 100 to dine under cover.

Thanks again for the help!

By the way, someone else (not an egullet member) suggested Jack Stack (Freight House location, downtown Kansas City) for BBQ.

Any thoughts? It sounds from the three recommendations above that LC's is highly regarded, but evidently Jack Stack is under consideration and has promised seating for 100 if we reserve now.

The diners will be high school students, with typical teenage palates (for the most part) if that makes any difference.

Given the number of people and the make-up of the group, I'd go for Jack Stack. It would be easier in terms of logistics. But I'd make sure about the price point. I would imagine they would treat your group as a private party which means catering. Looking at their catering menu, http://www.jackstackbbq.com/images/art/JSBBQ_PrivateDining_Menu.pdf , that's a minimum $15 for food, plus beverages are charged per beverage (soft drinks are $2), plus there's a 20% service charge and tax charged on top of that. You'd also have to put down a deposit, and arrange something for the vegetarians of the group.

But hopefully they'd be willing to arrange something cheaper for your group since they're high school students.