• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

typo

8 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

@rustwood I'll be at the Kamado Joe Roadshow in California this weekend. I can't wait. I've been waiting sooo long for a kamado.

I'm still undecided between a KJ and a Vision.

How much of a price difference is there?  If it is less than $200, I would definitely go for the KJ - you aren't going to replace it any time soon and accessories that come with it are well worth that premium.  I don't know what they are now, but in the summer of 2016 the large KJ was $780 at the roadshow.

Pro-tip  - you can get a smoking deal on the units they have unboxed for display.  Around here people are lined up at the opening to try to get the display models.  The down side is that you have to pay for it, then come back in the last hour of the event to pick it up.  It isn't boxed up so you really have to pack it carefully.  Bring 2X the padding that you think you will need, a large vehicle and at least one strong friend. 

We were there in the last hour and the person who had bought the large display model got talked into upgrading to an XL in the box.  My buddy was right there to snap up the large.  I know they they threw in a wok rig, cast iron grates and some other stuff, but I  don't recall if that was in addition to a price break.

rustwood

rustwood

28 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

@rustwood I'll be at the Kamado Joe Roadshow in California this weekend. I can't wait. I've been waiting sooo long for a kamado.

I'm still undecided between a KJ and a Vision.

How much of a price difference is there?  If it is less than $200, I would definitely go for the KJ - you aren't going to replace it any time soon and accessories that come with it are well worth that premium.  I don't know what they are now, but it the summer of 2016 the large KJ was $780 at the roadshow.

Pro-tip  - you can get a smoking deal on the units they have unboxed for display.  Around here people are lined up at the opening to try to get the display models.  The down side is that you have to pay for it, then come back in the last hour of the event to pick it up.  It isn't boxed up so you really have to pack it carefully.  Bring 2X the padding that you think you will need, a large vehicle and at least one strong friend. 

We were there in the last hour and the person who had bought the large display model got talked into upgrading to an XL in the box.  My buddy was right there to snap up the large.  I know they they threw in a wok rig, cast iron grates and some other stuff, but I  don't recall if that was in addition to a price break.