• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Identifying Flour

KitchenQueen

I have many containers of different flours. I always cut out the front of the bag and tuck it inside the container.

Not this time. I wanted to make biscuits this morning with the White Lily flour.

And I have no idea if it's the self rising or not. Is there any way to tell, other than baking biscuits and looking at the results?

Just taste a little of the raw flour. Let it sit on your tongue. Self-rising, on account of the baking powder, should have a carbonation-like tingle. You can also, I imagine, put a spoonful in a glass of warm water and see if it reacts.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks !

I thought of the taste test but didn't figure I'd be able to tell.

Looks like you were right. Taste test, incredibly flat tasting. Water test, no reaction.

Look like I have regular flour.

Biscuits will be served shortly.

Alright, here's another stumper: I bought a bag of corn flour at a bulk foods store over the summer, hoping it would be the same as maseca. Only lime treated corn can; how can I tell if I've got the right stuff without mixing up a whole batch?

• 3 weeks later...
be the same as maseca. Only lime treated corn can; how can I tell if I've got the right stuff without mixing up a whole batch?♦♦

I would follow these instructions and make like a two tablespoon batch. I supose one could make one tomali [ I Spell badly in english, no hope in spanish]. I don't know what else maseca is used for.

Robert

Seattle

• 2 weeks later...

In the future, I would label containers on the outside with a label maker or a piece of tape and marker, and always use the same container so there is no debate. I had a young inexperienced chef who use to do the same thing by cutting out a piece of the bag and throwing it in there, absolutely drove me nuts. The cooks would completely disregard the label and bash it apart with the scoops creating frays from the bag which would eventually end up in the food/finished product. And even if that wasn't an issue, why would you want to have to move it out of your way everytime you went to dig out some flour, seems silly.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea