• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite blender recipes

bmwrtmike

For about forty years, everybody in my family has been making this basic salsa by the bucketful.

I've posted it on eGullet before, but as you do make it in a blender, thought I'd put it here, too:

Jaymes posted this salsa last June and I just found it yesterday.

Made it this afternoon and now report back. Point #1: I had no idea how difficult it is now to find canned tomatoes without sugar and a lot of other stuff in them. Jaymes said canned tomatoes with tomatoes and salt only. In a large local supermarket I could find only one brand with the requisite tomatoes and salt only.

Point number 2...which I already knew...just a fact of life for chiles. Some of the same type of chile are much hotter than another. I could not imagine getting fresh Jalapenos in Peterpatch, ON, so hot that I had to add another can of tomatoes to the salsa just to be able to use it at all. DH, Ed, still thinks it's too hot. It probably would have been safer under the circumstances to either use canned or to add the chiles one at a time.

Still, all in all, a good experience. Thanks, Jaymes

I love this salsa! But I've never seen a jalapeno in Asia. I use Holland chilis, (the long, thin red ones) and the heat is perfect.

You can use basically any chile peppers. And a mix of peppers is sometimes even better. I put a serrano or two in my husband's batch to ramp up the heat.

But if you'd like jalapenos, I'm sure you can grow some. They're easy to grow. I had a friend that loved this salsa. She moved to Germany. A native Texan, she said she was having a really hard time over there with no jalapenos, so I sent her some seeds, and she grew them quite successfully for the entire three years she lived there.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 months later...

For about forty years, everybody in my family has been making this basic salsa by the bucketful.

I've posted it on eGullet before, but as you do make it in a blender, thought I'd put it here, too:

Salsa

This is a very basic recipe for a very basic salsa, most likely the number one type of salsa used in Mexican cooking. This is actually an exceedingly simple method of preparing a cooked salsa (it's just long because I'm so wordy).

I have made this a number of times since Erin linked to it in her blog (how did I miss it before?). Fantastic! Actually, I misread the instructions the first time and made it with undrained tomatoes and blended it pretty fine - but it's delicious that way and so I haven't tried to make it any chunkier. I used to ocassionally buy jarred salsa if I couldn't get decent tomatoes for a fresh one, but they were never that great. This is perfect and I love that it uses store cupboard ingredients - even if I don't have a fresh chile there's always some sort of sauce or jarred chile in the cupboard.

Thanks Jaymes!

(edited to fix quote)

Edited by Snadra (log)