• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional (medium sized batches) ice cream making...

m..

I have a question regarding ice cream manufacturing, specifically pasteurizing equipment (cliff notes below).

I'm talking about medium batch manufacturing, e.g. a local ice cream parlor.

At home, I mix all the ingredients, homogenize and pasteurize them on the stove top and let them age in the fridge. I then freeze them and store them in the freezer.

All the ice cream parlors that I know of homogenize, pasteurize and age a base mix, i.e. ice cream without any flavoring. They make this base mix in large quantities (e.g. 60 liters/quarts). Then they add flavoring agents (powders, purees etc.) to smaller batches (e.g. 10 liters/quarts) and freeze them.

However, their ice cream is rather poor quality. They use cheap flavoring agents. In my opinion, for high quality ice cream, the flavoring agent has to be added before homogenization (at least for most flavors).

My question: Is it common for more artisanal places to do large quantities "home style", i.e. adding the flavoring before pasteurisation and therefore pasturize smaller batches (e.g. 10 liters)? What kind of equipment is usually used? The medium batch ice cream equipment I looked at (i.e. pasteurizing machines) were specifically built for larger batches, where it only makes sense to add the flavoring afterwards.

Cliff notes: Is it commong to have a lot of smaller pasteurizers instead of a large one? Or do the premium places also add flavoring agents later on?