• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffet for National day (17th of may)

glennbech

Hello friends,

It's been a while, I think maybe years since I posted. I was very active some years back, and I probably have hundreds of posts on Sourdough baking :-)

Now I am catering for 12 people for a celebration of our national day. I have decided on a buffet for simplicity and logistics. The traditional Norwegian buffet usually contains foods like

- Scrambled Eggs

- Chicken

- Roast-beef

- Burgers on bread with browned onions.

- Smoked salmon

- Fish

. And so on

I really, really want to make a twist on this, and I am now seeking inspiration for amazing buffet food. I also want to challenge myself on this and use it as an occasion to learn something new. I also want to pick a “theme” so that the tastes are more or less coherent. No Tacos, Shusi & Pasta buffet 

Ideas?

Ok Glenn

I'll take a stab at this one...If I was doing a 4th of July meal that included all those elements I might go with -

Quich or Frittata

Chicken cut into 8 or 10 pieces (breasts can be cut in half)

prepared with a dry seasoning of Paprika, Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder...etc

Grilled or baked and topped with BBQ sauce

Flank Steak or a cut known here as "London Broil" a top or bottom round steak

Seasoned and grilled...the carmelised onions would be great with that

Burgers would be...burgers

Salmon baked with a mixture of Apricot Preserves and Dijon

Pasta and Veg Salad

Green Salad

Potato Salad

Assorted Breads

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association