• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrating Saint George

George is Patron Saint of England, Scouts, Gypsies, syphilitic people -- the list goes on. I'll be making Devils on Horseback and Chicken Wessex with Cerne Abbas Sauce for this weekend, even though it's three weeks early. Who else celebrates this mysterious Roman Soldier with feasting, and what are the details?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 2 weeks later...

I intend to eat significant amounts of curry... washed down with even more significant qauntities of cider. I will wear a red rose and wil go to my local pub and then drink more cider and listen to the brass band that they have rustled up from God knows where.

At some point during the evening I hope to get the opportunity to sing Jerusalem (drunkenly).

This sounds like a great idea. I may need to start a tradition.

I lived in London for almost three years, and did a lot of St. George Celebrating, not to mention St. Andrew, et al. Maybe Pimm's, minted pea soup, steak & ale pie and Eton mess?

Time to dig out Nigella and James Martin!

Edited by Corinna (log)

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

This sounds like a great idea. I may need to start a tradition.

Corrina, April 23rd is a good time of the year for a feast. St. Pat's and St. Andrew's almost always involve snow, at least where I live.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

St George "... is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres (Spain), Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Milan, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Lod, Barcelona and Moscow", it says here, and his father was Turkish and his mother Palestinian. There have to be some good fusion opportunities there.

As an English festival, though, how could you argue with a roast beef dinner ?

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.