• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Status of canned dace ban

CFT

Anyone know what the status of the ban is? Have been reading posts on other forums which seem to suggest it is available again.

The popular canned fried dace in black beans, as I understand, has been withdrawn in Hong Kong and the US and other parts of the world.

The dace, a kind of fish, is raised in rivers to which malachite green has been added to prevent parasite growth. Unfortunately the malachite green becomes absorbed into the fish which are then caught and fried as the cheap and popular fried dace in black beans.

In the long term, consumption of the fried dace can cause cancer due to the malachite green.

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

I was able to buy canned dace in Dayton, Ohio last summer. I was disappointed though, as they did not contain the black beans. Somehow, it's did not the taste the same. I don't know if they are using a different recipe/process, or the beans made the difference. I never liked the ones with bean curd sticks.

I used to be able to buy a can for under $1.00. This time, they cost $3.99!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 1 month later...