• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mori Sushi

mixmaster b

We went to Mori Sushi a few weeks ago and had a spectacular omakase.

Amuse: fried cold whitefish that had been marinated in vinegar

1st: Soup of matsutake mushrooms, shrimp, and mackerel. This was served in a tiny teapot with a small cup. We were instructed to drink the broth first, then squeeze Meyer lemon onto the solid ingredients, and finish with chopsticks. The flavor was light, with hints of fish and slightly bitter (in a good way). The mushrooms were barely cooked, very nice.

2nd: 2 slices of seared Japanese sea scallop, topped with uni and fresh wasabi. (All the wasabi was fresh--it is so wonderful and different from the regular stuff). This was my first time trying uni, and I found it very silky in texture, with a clean flavor. The texture is unusual, but I did not find it unpleasant.

3rd: Monkfish liver, served with sliced cukes and seaweed salad. The monkfish liver was very buttery--like dense foie gras.

4th: Fatty & Regular sushi. Their pieces are small and thin, so you don't have to struggle. The rice was perfectly cooked, fish was lovey--frsh and tender.

5th: Yellowtail roll. A thin roll with large pieces of very fresh yellowtail, not much rice.

6th: Salmon piece.

7th: Pink crab- I did not recognize this. It looked like ribbon or wide rubber bands, and was a bit chewy. It was served Gunkan style, with seaweed wrapped around rice to form a bowl-like shape that was filled with the pink crab.

8th: Marinated halibut. Several thin slices of fish served on rice.

9th: Seared very fatty tuna, served Gunkan style. This was so rich it tasted almost like bacon. Delicious!

10th: Yellowtail piece, and more pieces for my dining companions. (I was full!)

Fruit, bean jelly, tea

The meal was not inexpensive-about $400 for three of us, including tip and a generous amount of beer.

I think the style of the cooking, pottery, and decor are very personal, so the experience is always unique. I would like to know more about Mori.

I really feel like this restaurant is a contender for LA's best sushi!

Mori Sushi is a t 11500 W. Pico Blvd at Gateway. The sign is a fish, no lettering. As described, the sushi is artfully presented. The rice (not for tourists) is such that you can taste/feel the individual grains--not all mushed together. It's a good place, just not inexpensive.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I've read that Morihiro Onodera, the chef, actually has his rice hulled at the restaurant daily. :shock: Wow.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Last time I was in LA I went to a place called Matsuda. I think it was near Studio City (I don't know LA at all). It looked like a cheesy place in a strip mall to me.

It was some of the best sushi I ever had. And since we were on my friend's expense account, the quantities were almost painful. But pain in the good way. You know?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I forgot to post one of the best dishes of the night:

A huge grilled Santa Barbara shrimp, served with the deep-fried head presented next to it. The shrimp was served in the shell, split down the middle. The amazing part was that it was full of roe, bright red-orange and with a wonderful, elusive flavor.

I have never experienced shrimp roe before. Is it common? The flavor and texture, contrasted with the just-cooked flesh of the shrimp, was almost unbearably good!

• 2 weeks later...

I have never experienced shrimp roe before.  Is it common?  The flavor and texture, contrasted with the just-cooked flesh of the shrimp, was almost unbearably good!

Shrimp roe is delicious. I like the head and the eggs more than the actual shrimp meat. Some sushi chefs like to marinate the roe in a little ponzu to cut the fishiness...

Most of the Cantonese seafood places in SGV serve large steamed prawns that have the roe, which is prized. It's not cheap, more expensive than lobster per pound. But well worth the money. It's not on the menu, you have to look for it in the tanks and tell your server. There is also a Shanghainese dish that of braised sea cucumbers and shrimp roe. The shrimp roe they use is not fresh but dried... makes for a rich sauce.

• 1 year later...

Not only does Mori polish the rice daily, he travels to Sacramento to have the rice GROWN for him exclusively by one farmer. Mori sushi is special because everything from the plate it's servrd on to the fish itself is calculated and precise. Horay for Mori.

As to an alternate choice, try Go's (Mart) 22330 sherman way ( sherman and shoup) in the back of the mall. Don't be mislead by the appearence, it's all about the fish. I travel from Santa Monica to eat there. IMHO this is one of the best sushi bars I've been to. Eating Sushi since 1981 ( Japonica on University) in NYC.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I have never experienced shrimp roe before.  Is it common? 

Mantis shrimp is often served bearing roe -- because of this, I've heard, the female is more desirable to chefs.

Sounds like a very interesting place. Is there an omakase with a focus on sushi? If the regular menu predominantly cooked dishes or sushi?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Omakase means "chefs choice" more or less. So if you want all sushi or all toro etc,, just order what you like. Mori is not a sushi "nazi", he will servewhat you like. That said, why not just trust him and eat the balanced menu of raw and cooked.

Another good choice for sushi if you just want AAA fish simply done is Sushi Sushi on Beverly Drive. Small, chef driven place. There for many years.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/