• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations/Philly Convention Center area

Exit157

Hello all....I'll be meeting up with a friend from out of town at the Convention Center on Good Friday. We're not sure yet whether we'll be having lunch or dinner, so I'd love any dining recommendations that can accommodate either.

Any cuisine is fine, except Italian. (We love Italian; we just want to try something different.)

I know the Reading Terminal Market is right across the street, and we're pretty close to Chinatown, so any experiences with those locations would be welcome.

TIA!

Bruce avi.jpg

Edited by Exit157 (log)

RTM is pretty much strictly breakfast and lunch. The exception is the Down Home Diner, which is open until 7 p.m. (After 6 p.m., enter via Filbert Street under the Convention Center bridge.)

As for RTM recommendations: whatever suits your fancy. The overwhelming majority are good, and a few are outstanding. Among the latter: any sandwich at DiNic's, though most folks go for the roast pork with greens and aged provolone; brisket, corned beef, pastrami or latke at Hershel's East Side Deli; a hoagie at Salumeria (get it with house dressing and marinated artichokes among the fixings); fresh-baked pretzel at Miller's Twist; a simple plate of roast pork or duck with greens and rice at Sang Kee Duck (alternatively, you can get the protein and greens in a bowl of soup with noodles); New Orleans style foods, including muffaletta, at Beck's Cajun Cafe; South Asian fritters and similar filling fare at Nanee's Kitchen. Pizza by George is also good (for pizza, sandwiches and hot platters, but it is Italian).

Certainly one of the best values would be the Dutch Eating Place in the Amish section of the market (open Wed.-Sat. only); though I'm not terribly fond of their food, it is filling, and lots of folks enjoy it. The one place I'd steer you away from would be Profi's Creperie; the one time I tried it I only tasted cardboard. But they seem to be busy, so maybe they've improved, or I don't have reliable taste when it comes to crepes.

As you note, Chinatown is nearby. I'll leave recommendations to those who frequent there more often than me, but you should be aware of Rangoon, one of the few Burmese (Myamar) restaurants you'll find anywhere in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic. Kind of a cross between Southeast Asian and South Asian, in some respects, but quite tasty and excellent value. Folks kill over the thousand layer bread.

If you want to spend just a tad more than you would at the RTM or Chinatown, head south of Market, particularly the block of 13th street between Chestnut and Sansom. Among the hits here:

Bindi. Indian done just a tad upscale with New American sensibilities. Dinner only. BYOB.

Lolita. Not your average Mexican. The two-lamb entree is a killer! Dinner only. BYOB. If you bring Tequila, they have the fresh squeezed mix for a great margarita. Same owners/exec. chef as Bindi.

BYOB note: There's a Pennsylvania liquor store around the corner, at 12th and Chestnut, for wine and spirits purchases.

El Vez. This Stephen Starr outpost helped kick off the more-than-a-taco-joint Mexican trend in Philadelphia (there were a few earlier, but not in center city). iirc, Jose Garces was the first chef here. Lunch and dinner.

For dessert, Capogiro, for gelati and sorbetti. So many flavors it's too stressful to just choose one! I particularly like their darkest chocolate flavor, and chose a different one to go along for variety's sake, though usually a nut flavor, like pistachio or hazelnut, depending on what's available.

There a few others in the neighborhood I haven't tried, so I'll leave others to give thumbs up or down on Vintage, Raw, McGilligan's Old Ale House, etc.

Within walking distance (say 10-15 minutes) beyond this immediate area the choices increase exponentially, even excluding Italian. Let us known if you're interested in a particular cuisine or style and we can narrow it down, but we're talking everything from Five Guys Hamburgers to Le Bec Fin and everything inbetween.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Ron - that's a lot of great information! I really appreciate the links to your recommendations.

I'll post here again when and if I need more info, but this seems more than enough to consider for now.