• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Out of towners need Times Square recommendations

legalsec

We're going in three weeks and would love some recommendations for dinners within walking distance of Times Square. Looking for french bistro type food (nothing upscale) and greek food (again, nothing upscale). Comfort food places are what I had in mind. Also, what's the best bet for breakfast and lunch in the neighborhood. We're seeing a Broadway matinee on Saturday and visiting MOMA on Friday. Leaving Sunday around noon. Thanks so much.

You should look at the Pre Theater thread for some ideas, but I have an easy answer for your quest for non-upscale Greek food near Times Square: Go to Uncle Nick's, 747 9 Av., between 50th and 51st Sts. It's probably best not to go at super-peak hours, but their food is good and the place is informal and inexpensive. There's also a very good Greek bakery (no place to sit inside, but very helpful counter people) called Poseidon, on 9th Av. between 44th and 45th. Their items can be a little oily, but they taste good, and they have both sweet and savory pastries.

Michael aka "Pan"

We're going in three weeks and would love some recommendations for dinners within walking distance of Times Square. Looking for french bistro type food (nothing upscale) and greek food (again, nothing upscale). Comfort food places are what I had in mind. Also, what's the best bet for breakfast and lunch in the neighborhood. We're seeing a Broadway matinee on Saturday and visiting MOMA on Friday. Leaving Sunday around noon. Thanks so much.

Triomphe (44th between 5th and 6th) might be worth a try for French bistro fare.