• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coriander mystery

JAZ

Last week I had to make lamb curry for 30 students and staff, so I needed a lot of ground coriander. I used all the preground spice I had and then discovered that I didn't have any seeds to grind fresh.

Then I remembered an Indian spice kit I'd gotten a few years ago. I'd gone through it and used most of the ground spices and some of the whole, but just kept the rest of it around in case I ever needed, say, ajwain or white poppy seeds. I thought I might have had a packet of coriander seeds left in it, so I got it out of the cabinet. No seeds. But as I was looking though the packets I noticed spilled powder in the box just as I spied a packet of ground coriander. This is what I pulled out.

coriander_package.jpg

At first I thought insects, but it was the only packet that was affected. I didn't use the coriander -- even if it was okay, it was way too old, but now I'm wondering what caused that. Does coriander contain something that eats into plastic? Any ideas?

If it was a property of the coriander, all the plastic would have a degradation, instead of small areas.

If it was insects in the coriander, there would have been a WHOLE BUNCH to make that many holes to get out!

I think it was coriander-loving bugs who wanted to get IN to the good stuff (polyethylene is a poor small-molecule blocker so they would have easily detected the aroma).

Ray

looks like what the larva of those damn little moths do that we tend to get every couple of years. They get into anything if they want to, surprising as that is. I had to throw out lots of stuff a couple of years ago, nowadays I hunt for them as soon as I see one of them fly around. They seem to come with nuts or other such things at times.

Yumm :laugh:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I had the same thing happen to me. I packed the seeds in a zip lock and placed it in a tupperware inside the cupboard. After a few months I remembered I had some and was about to use them. As I unpacked it there were black "bugs" inside and yet the package had not been breached.Some of the seeds were already powdery. I surmised that the seeds had larvae contamination (either naturally or accidentally by the re-packer) Threw them out and bought a pack from an Indian grocery and so far its been free from any infestation four months running. Aside from reasons of flavor and aroma, that is why I toast them slightly before using them.

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

What about mice? Or lizards? (I live in Phoenix, AZ and found a lizard in a cupboard once.)

I would agree w/ Lisa, mice. I have seen the same type of tears in some of my plastics stored in the garage- probably to make a nest. I stored in the garage about 30 bucktails (deer tails) dyed a multitued of colors for my other passion, fly tying and fly fishing. Unfortunately the mouse (mice?) found them, chewed them up and made a nest out of bucktail hairs in a kalaidoscope of colors.

Edited by Tom Gengo (log)

Tom Gengo

I have three cats. Mice and lizards don't last long, if they even dare to show their little heads.

As far as insects go, I'm not ruling it out, but it seems strange that only the coriander was affected.

I've seen hatched bug larvae in whole coriander seeds (you can tell if it's been infested, because each seed has a little tiny hole in it). But your coriander is ground, so that couldn't be it....