• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Blue Crabs

docdix

Hi I didn't know if this is the right place for this topic but I will be in DC for 5 days in April. I wanted to find out if the Fresh market along main street DuPpnt circle area is a good place for some crabs cooked on site since we won't have any access to cooking facilities. We will be with the kids so nothing fancy is the name of the game. does anyone have any other suggestions similar to this preferrably near a metro.

thanks

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

Nahhhh. Ain't no steamed crabs at Dupont (though Buster the oyster guy sells softshells in season).

Thisis where you want to go.

One way DC is different from the other jurisdiction in the Bay area is that that the Crab Feast is not nearly as big a deal as it is in, say, Annapolis or Norfolk. But the Maine Avenue Fish Market remains a hotbed of all things crustacean, and is the go-to spot for the entire city when it's time to steam up a bushel of Jimmies.

At least one stand, possibly others, serves steamed crabs (and other steamable seafood). I seem to recall it being to your left if you're facing the river. You shouldn't have any trouble scoring the requisite hammers and tools.

As much as I love the Dupont Market (where Alice Waters Herself was overheard complaining about the weather yesterday -- those Californians don't handle cold weather well), Maine Avenue is cooler that Dupont by an order of magnitude and the antithesis of "fancy." You and your kids should have a great time just walking around than checking the people and the floating stands out.

It's probably a ten or 15 minute walk from the L'Enfant Plaza Metro station; if you're bringing crabs back to your room you might consider cabbing it back, depending on how walk-y you feel. It's also -- and again, depending on weather and legs -- probably less than 20 (admittedly, not particularly scenic) minutes from Air and Space, the Hirshorn, and a couple of other museums on the south side of the Mall.

Have fun!

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

thanks for the detailed info. can't wait to go. iam sure the family will have a blast

cheers

Feel free to PM me as the date approaches for more detailed information, for whatever it's worth. I will work for lumpia.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.