• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

On 3/14/2010 at 12:30 PM, Darienne said:

So a friend came to stay last week from Ottawa, ON, and brought a dozen bagels. I specified...Montreal bagels or nothing bagelish.

Unfortunately, I did not also say...buy them the day you are coming or don't bother. Not only did he buy them the day before, he didn't bother to put them in the provided plastic bag to keep them a tad fresh. Aficionados of Montreal bagels are aware of the stale factor.

It is a tribute to my essentially forgiving nature that I did not mention it to him nor strangle him either, but smiled sweetly and ate the bagels, stale as they were.

DH ran each remaining bagel under the tap very briefly and put them into a plastic bag into the fridge and truly, it did rescue them to a great extent.

Visitor left his suit here by accident, so...I shall make a note of the house bagel requirements for his return visit. Bring 'em right...or don't bring 'em.

Such wonderful  memories of Allan who brought the stale bagels each time until we encouraged him to bring us a bottle of Panama Jack instead and we all enjoyed Ed making Road's End Frothy Coffees for us.  It's now  2023 and Allan passed away over a year ago now.  And we miss his crazy visits to the farm and we now buy our own PJ (change of name to keep with the times??).  

And Ed's sister and husband arrived from Ottawa a couple of days ago...we hadn't been able to see them for 4 years now...and brought Montreal bagels (fresh) and I thought I'd died and gone to bagel heaven.  

Don't talk to me about New York Bagels.  The Fat Guy, much missed, knew his  bagels.

Darienne

Darienne

Sister-in-law and husband

On 3/14/2010 at 12:30 PM, Darienne said:

So a friend came to stay last week from Ottawa, ON, and brought a dozen bagels. I specified...Montreal bagels or nothing bagelish.

Unfortunately, I did not also say...buy them the day you are coming or don't bother. Not only did he buy them the day before, he didn't bother to put them in the provided plastic bag to keep them a tad fresh. Aficionados of Montreal bagels are aware of the stale factor.

It is a tribute to my essentially forgiving nature that I did not mention it to him nor strangle him either, but smiled sweetly and ate the bagels, stale as they were.

DH ran each remaining bagel under the tap very briefly and put them into a plastic bag into the fridge and truly, it did rescue them to a great extent.

Visitor left his suit here by accident, so...I shall make a note of the house bagel requirements for his return visit. Bring 'em right...or don't bring 'em.

Such wonderful  memories of Allan who brought the stale bagels each time until we encouraged him to bring us a bottle of Panama Jack instead and we all enjoyed Ed making Road's End Frothy Coffees for us.  It's now  2023 and Allan passed away over a year ago now.  And we miss his crazy visits to the farm and we now buy our own PJ (change of name to keep with the times??).  

And Ed's sister and husband arrived from Ottawa a couple of days ago...we hadn't been able to see them for 4 years now...and brought Montreal bagels (fresh) and I thought I'd died and gone to bagel heaven.  

Don't talk to me about New York Bagels.  The Fat Guy, much missed, knew his  bagels.