• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Knife Sharpening in Melbourne

pastameshugana

My family and I are living in Bangalore at the moment (USA transplants), and we get out of here every six months or so. Earlier this year we went to Melbourne and I picked up my first Global knife, which I have fallen in love with. I got it on sale at a shop that was closing, and the (then) favorable exchange rate made it a steal for me.

However, since then, our house-keeper has managed to (apparently) smash it against something metal (the sink, possibly?), and I've got a nasty chip in the blade. I have a friend with a decent set of sharpening kit, but neither of us has the skill to attempt a repair.

We're headed to Melbourne again in Jan (specifically the Footscray area, but we'll be getting about a bit) and would love to find a true professional who could fix my poor sweetheart. I'm also planning on getting another knife or two, and if I could find someone who could improve on the factory edges, I'd be a thousand times grateful.

Thanks in advance!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Sorry, no local knowledge to pass on.

BUT ...

... there's a great tool called the Edge Pro Apex, which will enable just about anyone to improve on most factory edges.

The first job for mine was to restore a blade with a couple of (OK, fairly small) dings in it. Coarse stone all along both sides until we had got past the damage, then proceeded as though sharpening normally.

I fully expect you could 'do it yourself' if the edge is 'merely' chipped, rather than distorted.

It is a great tool.

Takes away the learning curve.

IMHO better to spend money on one of these than on one or more new knives.

It'll improve every knife you have. (OK, maybe not a sharply forward curving 'parrot beak' (without special order narrow stones), and you'll need the optional diamond stones for a ceramic blade - but pretty much every blade, even some serrated ones.)

http://edgeproinc.com/

ADDED: there's a 'review' on the site saying that the super-fine diamond stone ($20) cuts faster than the Coarse waterstone. Might be an idea for your repair strip-back ...

Have you seen Chad's maintenance and sharpening tutorial?

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - thanks for the tips. I think I've decided to take the plunge and buy an Apex kit. Does anyone know of a place that sells them in Melbourne? I've searched the website for dealers, and emailed all the Aussie dealers to no luck.

Any ideas?

PastaMeshugana

Contact EdgePro direct.

They would know of any local stockists.

But they seem happy to deal direct, worldwide AFAIK.

Just ask, its nothing like a mega-corp. They are actually friendly and helpful ... (like changing 'kit' contents on request).

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, just wanted to check in: I got my Apex kit and Chad Ward's book - woohoo!

My Global has a frightening edge on it, now. I'm really surprised how good the system is, and using some guidance from Chad's (informative) book was a great help.

Thanks to everyone!

PastaMeshugana

:smile:

Now, without being too ambitious on shallow angles, you can make all your old knives (even rather 'ordinary' ones) sing almost as well!

I'd just echo the general advice that, if the knife is "pretty", its well worth protecting the 'flats' of the blade with tape - waterproof (exterior-grade) paint-masking tape (which is often blue) is what's generally recommended.

Taping the blade isn't strictly necessary, but its good (and cheap) insurance, both against an accidental kiss with a stone and against stray bits of grit getting under the knife, on the 'blade table' of the Edgepro.

Its an amazing tool, and stupidly (because there's no great skill involved in using the thing) satisfying to use.

Ah, that's the same setup some guy is using at our farmer's market, interesting. Not sure I'll run out and order one, as he's sharpening a chef's knife for around $10 or so, but I'm certainly intrigued by this setup. I like doing stuff myself and the Apex is probably totally find for home use. Hmmm, December gift bounty is just around the corner....

:laugh:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog