• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fresh flageolet beans

SobaAddict70

I managed to pick up a couple of pounds of fresh flageolet beans at the farmer's market this weekend.

I'm thinking 2 cups of salted water, simmer for 10 minutes or until tender sounds about right as far as cooking time is concerned?

Will be using them along with slow-roasted tomatoes and flounder (pix to come in the Dinner! thread later)

I usually follow Judy Rodgers' method in the Zuni Cafe Cookbook for cooking any kind of fresh shell beans. The recipe says the beans may be done anytime from 5-20 mins of cooking! I'm guessing that's because fresh beans can be variable in the amt of moisture they still contain. I put a couple of beans in a ramekin and stick it in the freezer for a minute to cool, then I taste. As the cooking time lengthens, I taste more and more frequently to make sure the beans do not overcook. I've never cooked flageolets, but fresh cranberry beans and fresh black-eyed peas are creamy rather than chalky in texture when they are done.

When the beans are done, (and this is in the cookbook recipe) taste the cooking liquid for salt, not the beans, and count on the beans to absorb salt as they cool to be properly seasoned. Let the beans cool in their liquid, and store them in their liquid (prior to adding to the final dish) so that they do not crack apart.

Judy Rodgers' recipe for cooking fresh shell beans is incorporated in the shell bean salad recipe here. I like to add a stalk of celery to the cooking liquid also.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/31/dining/the-chef-judy-rodgers-cosseted-lettuces-and-pampered-greens.html?pagewanted=2

I like this recipe for salmon with flageolets, also from Judy Rodgers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08087/868169-34.stm

thanks. I rarely cook from recipes.

20 minutes turned out be more or less correct.

celery, shallots, olive oil, 1 bay leaf, about 3/4 cup water and a pinch of salt; simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. I had to add half a package of baby limas because it turned out the flageolets weren't enough.

4007446100_382137b247_o.jpg

They're beautiful, aren't they?

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)