• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaffir lime cocktail

TAPrice

Todd:

How different does the juice taste from regular lime juice?? Would it be worth subbing into a Margarita? Got any good homemade grenadine in the house? How about a Jack Rose variant? How about muddling them into a Caipirinha? I'd look for drinks where the lime/lime juice is a crucial flavor component and see how different it would be with Kaffir limes instead...

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Pressed KL juice doesn't taste much diff from persian lime juice, to me. And the bumpy little things aren't especially juicy. The really aromatic stuff is in the peel & leaves; trying using the peels for an infusion, or maybe candying the peels to use as a garnish. KLs have a decidedly assertive, lemony aroma--too much, and it brings to mind Lysol lemon floor cleaner.

I agree -- there are definitely piney notes. But I like them! I once found a recipe for an "Indian" cocktail called The Agra which we made with Kaffir limes. It featured limes, fresh pomegranate, gin, mint, sugar, and ginger ale. Very delicious. I think it also makes a good mocktail, for non-drinkers (not that any of them are reading this thread) -- it's got a very interesting flavor combo.

I've read that kaffir lime (both leaves and rind -- not sure about the juice) have the same components as citronella. I think it's that rather than pine or lemon that comes into play with kaffir . Whatever it is, though, it can definitely be overpowering in large doses.