• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutritional content of stock

Fat Guy

I've been reading for years that if you make and then defat a stock you've created what is essentially a calorie-free food. And if you look on the packaging for those prepared stocks that come in the aseptic cardboard cartons, the nutrition-facts section will say 10 calories per cup and 0 grams of saturated fat (plus a ton of sodium). Yet, we are told often that stock is nourishing, the best thing for the common cold, etc., and of course we also know that it has great flavor and thickening properties for sauce-making.

So this leads me to wonder: what, exactly, is in stock? It's not meat. It's not fat. But it kind of tastes like both. Nutrition experts please explain this miracle food.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It looks like calcium, protein, and B vitamins

http://www.appliedhealth.com/nutri/page15463.php

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How are you defatting? If you just chill and remove the solidified fat layer on top, that might not get out all of it as the fat can become dissolved (emulsified?) into the body of the stock so that it won't separate. You have to skim off the top with a spoon as it's cooking.

I don't bother with that though. Chilling and separating is just so much easier.