• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate molds for a beginner: magnetic, silicone, or polycarbonate?

colombianchocolate

Hi

I’m at the moment where I need to choose what mold I will use for my pralines and I need advice. I will mostly use high quality chocolate (70%) for ganache filled pralines. I know how to make the ganache. But I need to know what mold suites me.

My options are chocoflex (pavoni) Magnetic (pavoni) or hard plastic from chocolate world pavoni and Martello.

I will probably not be making a lot right away, but maybe in the future. Obviously price is kind of an issue, living in South America the molds are a bit more pricy than in the States. The chocoflex are 150 USD , the magnetic 100 USD and the hard plastic 55 USD.

Are some molds easier to get the shells out of?

Are some molds for expert use?

Please give me some advice

I'd say to start go for the polycarbonate molds like the ones from Martello or Chocolate World. You can probably purchase them for a lot less than $55 US especially if you are willing to purchase used molds. On e-bay you can purchase from a vendor such as laboutiqueduchocolatier in belgium - here is a sample of his wares. His molds will cost $12 or $15 US, plus the cost of shipping. His english leaves a bit to be desired - but I've bought lots of molds from him before and he'll ship anywhere.

Magnetic molds might be the next thing to move up to, after getting comfortable with the regular polycarbonate molds. You'll need transfer sheets or texture sheets to accompany them, or make your own.

The chocoflex molds are more useful for shaping ganache into something you will them dip or enrobe in some way.

Oh, and welcome to eG!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

The poly molds get my vote. Magnetic molds are nice, but if you are just starting out, they kind of limit what you can do. Poly molds are avaliable is so many sizes, varieties, etc. that you are limited only by your imagination.

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

I think magnetic molds are easier in one big way - if you temper poorly, you can always poke out your chocolates.

They will never get stuck, no matter how inexperienced you are.

They are harder in a few ways. One, the magnetic molds I have are smaller, so piping ganache is harder.

Two, the cavities are further apart, so making shells and backing them is harder.

Excellent point on the temoer issues being avoided with magnetic molds. I also agree with Gap that the half sphere poly mold is one of the staples in the industry..easy to clean, easy to wipe down, and you can work some serious magic with colored cocoa butter, some brushes, some swabs, etc.

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me