• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Curry 911

Six-pack-to-go

I have tried repeatedly to come up with a homemade curry that is not bland and lifeless. I am not a bad home cook; in fact, every thing else I make turns out great. Nevertheless, my curry dilemma has wreaked havoc upon my confidence as a home cook. Is there a fail-safe recipe out there for one? Any tips on what makes a curry sizzle. Pastes or Powder? Or is it just plain impossible for a white dude to make a decent curry? Indian, Thai or other, jus something that tastes good!

Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

There are many different recipes for curry powders and pastes. You need to keep trying until you find a combination you like. The trick, of course, is to start with fresh spices or else you're already in a hole.

I find the hardes part about Indian curries to be the base for the sauce -- the onions, tomato or curd. It never sets right for me -- it's either too chunky or it separates.

For Thai curries, I usually use store-bought. The Mae Ploy brand is pretty good. The hard part is getting the proportions right.

edit -- that's "chunky".

The problem is that when I use curry powder they never come out saucey jus kinda gritty, dry and bland. I have tried everything from store bought curry powders to making my own from whole seeds and still the results are the same and truely dissappointing. I think something may be missing. There are a few Aisian supermarkets (both Indian and Chinese) around my way that I have to try. Any suggestions for brands to be on the look out for? Any suggestions on what to add to get saucey creamy curry? How does cooking time affect a curry? Should I be doing longer slower lower tempature cooking or flash frying? To narrow it down let's say a Thai green curry or a chicken korma or a regular (I hate using words like this as if there is a standard one or something) yellow curry.

Actually, in Thai curries, "green", "red", and "yellow" are standards, although they vary greatly within those standards. I just add a few tablespoons of curry paste to the pot, fry it a bit to cook, brown the meat in the paste, add veggies and pout in a can of coconut milk (depending on the thickness I want). It's ready in about 15 minutes.

I'd check out the Indian-Sub-Continent forum for lots of curry recipes. Generally, the base of the sauce comes from a combo of tomotoes and onion which are minced. They break down nicely. Often the addition of cream or yoghurt helps considerably. If your curries are gritty, sounds like you're using too much powder. I assume blandness comes from the powder -- try different mixture or try adding chilli. (Of course, I've never made an Indian curry that comes close to a decent restaurant.)

I guarantee, if you use those Mae Ploy Thai curry pastes, you will NOT have bland food. :biggrin: Usually they call for 50 grams of paste to one can of coconut milk -- that's about 2 heaping tablespoons. It works! I've worked with chefs who made their own, and with all due respect, the bought stuff is almost as good!

When you do your Indian dishes, try cooking your spices with the onions, etc. This will bring out their flavor more than if you just add them later.

You may notice that a lot of Indian recipes include both individual spices and "garam masala" which is a spice mix one usually makes oneself. I usually use Sun Brand Madras Curry Powder as the garam masala. It has a nice combination of flavors and heat. But remember you can always add cayenne or whatever for more heat.

Any suggestions on temperature and time? A low temperature longer cooking time or quick and hot? Would a longer cooking time kill the flavor of the curry or improve it? Or would a wok style high temperature flash stir-fry be better?

Thai curries are some of the easiest things in the world to make, all you need is a pack of paste and a can of coconut milk.

I stirfry some meat/fish/tofu and veggies (almost anything goes) in some oil then add about a tablespoon of paste, give it a good mix then pour in a can of coconut milk, sprinkle in some salt ( this is a must!), simmer for about 5 minutes and you're done.

Start off with a small amount of paste and taste it as it cooks, adding more if you want, the heat can vary among brands, I also prefer Mae Ploy.

This will not be a thick curry.

To add a little more depth throw in some fresh lemon grasss and/or kaffir lime leaf if you have them.

It can also be garnished with basil or cilantro, or Thai basil if you can get it.

Indian curries are a little more difficult, I find they take a lot more time and the spices are often layered, some added in the beginning, others added in the middle, and then some at the very end.

Definitely check out some of the curry threads or get a good indian cookbook and just practice, practice, practice.

Don't forget a little salt or acid (lemon, lime, vinegar, etc), they always help to perk up bland foods.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Indian curries are a little more difficult, I find they take a lot more time and the spices are often layered, some added in the beginning, others added in the middle, and then some at the very end.

Definitely check out some of the curry threads or get a good indian cookbook and just practice, practice, practice.

Don't forget a little salt or acid (lemon, lime, vinegar, etc), they always help to perk up bland foods.

Wow! Very well said. I see we Indian cooker teachers now have more competition.:smile:

I have tried repeatedly to come up with a homemade curry that is not bland and lifeless.  I am not a bad home cook; in fact, every thing else I make turns out great.  Nevertheless, my curry dilemma has wreaked havoc upon my confidence as a home cook.  Is there a fail-safe recipe out there for one?  Any tips on what makes a curry sizzle.  Pastes or Powder?  Or is it just plain impossible for a white dude to make a decent curry?  Indian, Thai or other, jus something that tastes good!

What kind of curry do you want?

Chicken, goat, lamb, pork, beef, vegetable, egg??

That would determine what recipe one could suggest...

Also that would determine temperature etc....

Curries from India or Thailand are really not all that difficult...

If you find yourself a reliable recipe, it is actually fun and simple. The only challenge can be collecting the ingredients.. But with Indian stores around the country and online ones too, even that has become far less of a challenge.

And then you have the team of us on eGullet, we would love to be of help. :smile:

I am excited that you posted... and look forward to sharing in your curry adventure.... It shall be exciting and rewarding once you get started.

PS: I read something about a Korma from you.. If you like Kormas... I have a wonderful chicken Korma recipe in my upcoming cookbook... I would be glad to PM you that recipe. It would be only for your eyes... It is not spicy at all, but amazingly delicious and also a fool proof recipe. You can also make that into a Biryaani (rice caserole) and I will be happy to send you that recipe as well.

Another member of eGullet had requested that recipe from me... And they recently PM'd me telling me of their successful rendering of it. And in fact if memory serves me well, this persons spouse was from the Indian Sub-Continent. So the tested recipe won yet another accolade. I am happy to share if you have any interest.. It is a chicken korma recipe.

This is how I learned to make Thai curries, when I was about 10 and living in Thailand. All of the Thai cooks I know make it like this:

Assuming you are using canned coconut milk (and not fresh coconut cream and coconut milk), make sure that you do not shake the can before using. Open the top of the can and carefully spoon the thick cream on the top into a pan. Cook the coconut cream until it is bubbling and starts to separate, and then add your curry paste. Once this is aromatic, stir in the coconut milk. Once this is hot, add your meat, and when this is cooked, add your veggies. Taste and add some fish sauce and a bit of sugar (but not too much).

I think the most common curry I ate in Thailand was green curry with chicken. We tended to eat at "local" restaurants (frequented by very few farangs), so the chicken was not the boneless breast pieces that are most common in the U. S. Rather, they would "dice" an entire chicken -- skin, bones and fat -- into about a 1-2" dice. The most common vegetables in this were either bamboo shoots (cut into matchsticks) or those golf-ball sized green and white speckled/striped eggplants, halved or quartered, depending on size. Lots of Thai basil at the end.

Especially in small towns, we rarely ate curry with pork or beef -- these seemed to be more commonly used in stir fries. Fish was, however, was common, especially in southern Thailand. Masaman curry (same basic preparation, just using masaman curry paste) was always made with beef or lamb, and had potatos and peanuts in it.

Another favorite "curry" preparation was made with ground pork and long beans. Heat a little oil in a wok or skillet, add some curry paste, and when fragrant, add ground pork. When cooked, add longbeans cut into 1-2" lengths.

In Thai homes, and in little "holes" in the wall, it was not uncommon for these dishes for these dishes to be served at room temperature; the "hot" (temperature-wise) dishes tended to be the soups, stir-fries, fried fish dishes.

And, at least in Bangkok, most home cooks did not make their own curry paste -- you purchased hand-made curry paste at the market. They had huge bowls of the stuff. The vendor would scoop out however much you wanted and wrap it in a banana leaf. About the time I left Thailand (late 70's), canned curry paste was becoming more popular, and the first widely available brand was Maesri.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Success! My Thai green curry was a hit! :biggrin: Thanks for all your advice as I drew a little bit of knowledge from everyone who shared. I used Mai Ploy brand green curry added some coconut nut milk, chicken stock, onion, shallots (O.K. I know they are not traditional, but this is melting pot America right?), garlic, green beans, and carrots and boneless dark meat chicken. I added lemon grass, fish sauce, what I assumed to be Kha or Thai ginger, and Asian basil. I could not find kaffir lime leaves, but for acidity I added a little lemon juice. I actually found Thai eggplants but oh my, what a condition they were in so I jus passed right over them. I believe the fresh Asian basil to be the defining touch that made the dish stand out. It turned out to be a big hit. Next time I think I will try that sauce with mussels and shrimp. I can not wait. It turned out to be super easy and would suggest this recipe to anyone who ever tried to make a curry and failed.

My next foray will be a chicken Korma that I have been told is fool proof. And being that I sometimes act the fool, this will be very helpful. Gotta catch my plane outta Thailand and head for India. I will report back with how that Korma goes later on in the week.

Congrats six pack!

Green curry is a hit in our house, and one that doesn't take too long to prepare.

You noted "shallots (OK, I know they are not traditional)" -- but they can be very traditional. I think when I was growing up, when we said "onions," we more often meant shallots. My Thai market always has shallots (but rarely onions, unless green onions) and at a fraction of the price of shallots in a regular grocery (I think they are currently $.79/lb).

And, glad you used dark meat. It is better than boneless chicken breasts, which is typical in the U. S.

Finally, if you can't find lime leaves, lime zest or juice can be a good substute. Thai's are very big on limes, but I don't recall lemons really being a part of cooking there. Lemongrass yes, but lemons not much.

And, no, it's not the same without the basil.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

You know, I just did not realize that shallots were part of the Thai kitchen until after I did a little research on different sites about Thai cooking. I usually associate them with French cooking. However, as far as I am concerned if there are onions and garlic in a recipe then there is always room for shallots.

As far as the lemon juice is concerned it was that I did not have any lime leaves or limes handy and it needed a little more acidity to balance out the flavors. Jus making use of what I had. Next time, for my final Survivor party, I will make sure that I have at least fresh limes on hand if not lime leaves also.

Dark meat just has more flavor to it and I like the texture when it is cooked in liquid better then white meat which as a tendency to get to dense. The dark meat was boneless chicken thighs, which are becoming readily available at my supermarket.

Oh basil, Thai basil, sweet pungent anisette where would my curry be without you?

My next foray will be a chicken Korma that I have been told is fool proof.  And being that I sometimes act the fool, this will be very helpful.  Gotta catch my plane outta Thailand and head for India.  I will report back with how that Korma goes later on in the week.

What part of India are you headed to? How long for?

So when is India happening?

Metaphorically in my kitchen later this week (as soon as I make it to the Indian grocery store in West Philly)

And in reality when I raise enough money, find someone to come along and get some time off! But Spain is first this summer.