• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Broil with Feta-Herb Cream Sauce

phatj

London Broil with Feta-Herb Cream Sauce

As Top Round London Broil is neither very tender nor very beefy in flavor, I thought it would do well grilled medium-rare and paired with a flavorful sauce. Turned out I was right. :)

Sprinkle both sides of the beef with coarse black pepper and kosher salt. Press in with fingers. Let stand for an hour.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir continuously until the butter/flour mixture (roux) begins to brown and smell nutty, about 1 minute. Pour in about 1/4 cup of the cream and stir until smooth; gradually add remaining cream the same way. Stir in yogurt, then crumbled cheese, and stir frequently until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in herbs, garlic and pepper, cover, and remove from heat.

On a very hot grill, grill the meat about 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve with sauce over noodles, or as a sandwich on your favorite bread or roll.

( RG2165 )

• Similar Content

• By shain
      This is a recipe Iv'e been making for years, at least once per summer.
      It's quick to make, and I often divide into two pans, and refrigerate them, to be baked as a quick weekday dinner.

500g fusilli pasta 250g dry mozzarella cheese - diced (apx 1cm sized cubes) 40-100g cream (full fat, or a larger amount of half and half) - I usually go with 40g, but we tend to prefer things not overly rich 4 large tomatoes (or 6 medium ones), preferably drier varieties, such as Roma tomatoes - cut into stripes 8-9 minced garlic cloves - minced apx 35g basil - chopped + more for serving optional: 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast plenty of pepper salt to taste, 1-2 tsp (I'm a salt lover and often use 2, but it also depends on the saltiness of the cooking water)  

Cook the pasta a little shy of al dente. Drain well, let cool a bit. Place in a large bowl, mix in remaining ingredients. Can be refrigerated at this point. Place the entire amount or half of it in a shallow casserole dish that will contain the pasta so that it is not too tall - you want plenty of surface area. Bake under a low broiler (~220-230 deg C) for apx. 40-50 minutes until the top browns very deeply and the pasta is very crisp. Scatter some more basil. Serve immediately.  

• By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Susanwusan
      Hi, has anyone got a nice recipe for mango jelly using tinned mango puree (850g) and agar-agar powder (and possibly mango juice drink)? 
    • By AlaMoi
      made a tapenade using the usual garlic / olives / olive oil / lemon juice recipe - with kalamata olives.
      I have anchovy (tinned and paste) on standby . . . we both like anchovy....

now,,, I like kalamata olives - especially in a salad that involves feta....
      however, DW is underwhelmed and suggests 'it is just too strong'

we don't have a large selection of olives at the market - other than the usual green/black/with without stuffings...
      Castelvetrano
      the store has an olive bar - but the descriptions are strictly marketing BS - not specific olive types.  lots of 'mixtures'

the Castelvetrano press is pretty good - any experiences on toning down from kalamata welcomed.
      other tips.... i.e. 50-50 Kalamata & black/green, etc.

we do Amazon, so we should be able to get any type . . .
    • By shain
      A bread of Cyprus/Greece/Turkish origin.

Dough: Make 1-4 days ahead
      - 25g sugar
      - 4g instant dried yeast
      - 100g yogurt or buttermilk
      - 140g water
      - apx. 15g olive oil
      - 9g salt
      - 450g AP fluor

- Mix all but the flour.
      - Mix in the flour.
      - Knead, rest and repeat until a smooth strong dough forms.
      - Cover and rest for a night and up to 4.

Fillings:
      - 230g of a mixture of coarsely chopped salty cheeses - Feta, halloumi, kashkaval, sirene. You can also throw in mozzarella.
      - 1-2 scallions, chopped (optional)
      - A handful of chopped mint (optional)
      - A handful of chopped herbs: oregano, thyme, marjoram, etc.
      - Apx 8 garlic cloves, halved (optional)
      - A small handful of olives, coarsely chopped (optional. I used Tassos, but most types will work)
      - Filling 1:  100g roasted peppers, coarsely chopped (or instead, use double the next filling)
      - Filling 2:  1 large onion and one leek, chopped and sauteed soft (or instead, use another 100g roasted peppers)

Also:
      - a 22cm spring form pan
      - 1/2 tsp of silan (or honey) mixed with 2 tsp water and a pinch of salt
      - 25g toasted sesame
      - 1-1.5 tsp nigella seeds (optional)

Method:
      - Mix nigella and sesame.
      - Grease the pan well and sprinkle some sesame and nigella.
      ---
      - Flatten (with your hands) the dough on a lightly dusted surface.
      - Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
      ---
      - Roll the dough into a rectangle, dusting as needed.
      - Scatter the peppers on one half. Scatter the onion and leek on the other.
      - Scatter the cheeses and herbs evenly.
      - Cut into 7 stripes, so that each contains either peppers or onion-leek (it's fine if some get mixed).
      - Roll each stripe into a spiral.
      ---
      - Brush/dip a spiral in the silan (or honey) mixture. Scatter/dip in the sesame.
      - Place in the pan, and repeat. You should have one in the middle, surrounded by the rest.
      - Cover with remaining silan and sesame.
      ---
      - Bake in a preheated oven at 200dc, for ~40-50 minutes until browned.
      - Release from the pan. Let cool for ~20 minutes (or more).
      - To serve, bake again for ~10-15 minutes until hot and crisp (or more if needed, e.g. if it was cooled for longer).