• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cassava Cake (Slightly Updated)

gfron1

Cassava Cake (Slightly Updated)

Serves 8 as Dessert.

I made this cake during a weekend of Fililipo baking. During my research I learned that Cassava Cake is one of the most common foods found at potlucks and family gatherings. It was a very simple, but excessively sweet looking recipe, so I made some modifications. You can see my eGullet posting HERE

Cake Ingredients

• 32 oz Cassava Root, grated fresh or frozen
  • 10 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 12 oz Evaporated Milk
  • 10 oz Coconut Milk
  • 9 oz Coconut Cream
  • 2/3 c Sugar
  • 3 Eggs, whole
  • 3 Eggs, whites
  • 1 c Coconut, grated

Preheat oven to 325 F. Mix all cake ingredients together and combine. Pour into 9 inch springform that has been buttered and coated in coconut. Feel free to line the springform with parchment paper for easy release and less cracking. Bake until the top is no longer fluid and browns slightly. At least 30 minutes (at high altitude it took over an hour).

Cook completely.

Make whipped cream and incorporate mango juice. I took 1/4 C. mango juice added, 1/2 C. whipped cream and folded, then folded that mixture into the rest of the cream. Cover the top with the mango whipped cream, chill and enjoy.

I added a pineapple jelly that was melted down and steeped with lemongrass, cooled to room temperature, then added to the top to chill. Very nice addition.

Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Cake, Southeast Asian

( RG2012 )