• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese Grits w Tomato

Kouign Aman

Cheese Grits w Tomato

Serves 14 as Side.

This started as Paula Dean's recipe, and was very brand-name specific. I added a lot more regular cheese, and I used extra sharp cheddar.

I tasted two kinds of canned chili/tomato mixes. I liked the SW better (its cheaper too). (PD specified Ro-Tel).

I find this easier than grating cheese: slice the cheese (thick slices) and freeze it. It crumbles very easily after that, and the crumbles melt similarly to grated cheese.

• 4 c water
  • 2-1/2 c milk
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 c quick-cooking grits
  • 1 c butter (reserve one T to side)
  • 2/3 c green onions, diced (es[ecially green tops)
  • 16 oz Velveeta
  • 1/4 tsp garlic paste (PD recipe calls for ½ tsp garlic powder)
  • 3 c extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated/shredded/crumbled* (2 cups + 1 cup)
  • 1 10-oz can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chilis, drained
  • 1 14-oz can S&W diced tomatoes and green chilis, drained (I liked these better)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Saute green onions in a large saucepan with 1 T of butter for 1 minute or until soft. **

Bring milk and water to a boil, add salt and slowly add the grits (I used same pan as for sauteeing onions**).

Stirring constantly, return to boil and boil for 1 minute. Cover and cook on low for 3 minutes. Add the butter. Cover again and cook until grits are thick and creamy (3-5 minutes in theory. Took me a bit longer).

Remove from heat and add to the grits:

the cooked onions,

Velveeta,

2 cups cheddar cheese

garlic.

Stir until cheese is melted and thoroughly dispersed.

Add the canned tomatoes and mix well.

Pour grits into greased 8x11” pan and bake for 40 min. Sprinkle last cup of cheese over top of casserole for last 5 minutes of cooking time.

** I sautéed them in the sauce pan, scrapped them into the can of tomatoes and used the saucepan to cook the grits.

Keywords: Side, Easy, American, Cheese, Snack

( RG2010 )

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.